Black and yellow wire CDI causing cut out. How do I fix it?

Moderator: Moderators

Equalz
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1

Black and yellow wire CDI causing cut out. How do I fix it?

Post by Equalz »

Hello all there have been a multitude of things wrong with my bike. I have managed to sort most of them apart from the random cutting out.

The junction fuse box under the seat was dodgy so I got a new one from a breakers which improved but didn't solve the issue. (My old one was dodgy because you'd have to bang it to make it work again).

Now what happens is my bike well just tick over and tick over on the starter and will not start sometimes, once I start it, if I wiggle the black wire with the yellow stripe on it which goes into the left hand side of the M CDI the bike will cut out. I have tried all the other wires wiggling them multiple times and it's only the black wire with the yellow wire that causes the bike to cut out.

I've looks at the connector and the pin of the wire and both seem good so I'm really not sure how I fix it? I also am not sure what the black wire with the yellow stripe is responsible for, if I was to take an educated guess I'd say pick up coil?

Thoughts, tips, any one who's been in this situation and sorted it :p?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Black and yellow wire CDI causing cut out. How do I fix

Post by CaNsA »

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/L%20M ... r%2015.pdf

:D

Try spraying contact cleaner on the connectors.
20yrs of grime could be the cause.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Equalz
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1

Re: Black and yellow wire CDI causing cut out. How do I fix

Post by Equalz »

Aye, made sure to do all the connectors and pins and it wasn't that, figured it out a few hours ago. The wire wasn't being held tightly by the connector so when it got moved about even the slightest it would lose contact and stop the CDI from allowing the spark plugs to spark!

It's running like a beaut now happy days, cheers for your response cansa, you were half right!