Brake light / tail light confusion?

Moderator: Moderators

jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Brake light / tail light confusion?

Post by jimsym »

I noticed today that when the ignition key is turned to on' or 'park', both bulbs on my rear tail light up, regardless of what the light switch is set to (on/'city'/off).
Pressing the brake lever or brake pedal make no difference.

I dont think this is right...

Im guessing in city or park both rear tail bulbs should be on but low, and with the brake applied they should also be on, but even brighter?

Any ideas how to diagnose / fix?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Brake light / tail light confusion?

Post by banner001 »

just tested mine for you...

1. turn ignition to park, city light and rear light come on, brake switch increases brightness of brake light slightly, doesnt matter what the headlight "on-city-off" switch is turned to.

2. turn ignition to off, no lights on.

3. turn ignition to "on", headlight switch to "off", brake switch makes brake light come on, headlight switch turned to "city" turns front city light on and rear light, brake light makes rear light brighter, and finally headlight switch to "on", turns city light and dipped beams on and rear light, brake switch makes rear light bright.

note, if the rear light has a brightness of "low" when its illuminated, pressing brake in "park" makes it go to "low-medium" brightness, whereas with ignition set to "on" the brake light becomes "high".
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

One of your brake light switches is stuck on, does the front lever click when you pull it inn? If not the switch is stuck on, if it does click then its the rear, most likely if it is the rear the adjutable locknut ring need turning back till the bulbs dim down!
jimsym

Post by jimsym »

Thanks guys, what a forum! The front lever does click so will try the rear switch and report back.
jimsym

Post by jimsym »

Update: Took the rear fairings off, unplugged the rear brake lamp switch and shazam the rear light stays off, and for good measure tested that the front lever does infact switch on the bulb when its squeezed.

Then had a play with the switch itself.

It worked 'as it should' once or twice (after cleaning the gunk out of the pin), from the time it did work I established there should be a tiny spring inside the actual mechanism that retracts the pin? Anyway it then stopped working again, the pin would move without resistance, and the rear light would stay on regardless of whether the pin was full retracted or fully extended.

The part itself looks sealed and totally unservicable, so ordered a replacement from cradley (270101452), £15.

Double update: New part fixed the problem :smt001
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

jimsym wrote:Update: Took the rear fairings off, unplugged the rear brake lamp switch and shazam the rear light stays off, and for good measure tested that the front lever does infact switch on the bulb when its squeezed.

Then had a play with the switch itself.

It worked 'as it should' once or twice (after cleaning the gunk out of the pin), from the time it did work I established there should be a tiny spring inside the actual mechanism that retracts the pin? Anyway it then stopped working again, the pin would move without resistance, and the rear light would stay on regardless of whether the pin was full retracted or fully extended.

The part itself looks sealed and totally unservicable, so ordered a replacement from cradley (270101452), £15.

Double update: New part fixed the problem :smt001
Nice one! Corrosion and gunk over the years!- Happy motoring! U might get a few more tail gaters now that ur not blinding people tho! :smt003