Making a loom

Moderator: Moderators

R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Making a loom

Post by R P Corse »

Guys, I'm wondering if anyone here has managed to make up their own loom, went to tidy up mine the H1 and noticed that some of the wires have become very brittle/hard/build up of I guess mould? You know the green stuff on a penny when copper gets old? I've seen these on a couple where they have started to split on the insulation.

I fear that due to the age of the bike if I look for another loom to fit, it's gonna be in a similar condition, would it be worth making a new loom? I'm turning it into a track bike and want to lose the lights as it is any ways... What are the bare essentials that are needed - pulsar, fly wheel, coils (will eventually do the stick coil mod), ignition, start button and kill switch, battery... Any thing else?

I also have the "magic box" that derestricts the bike through the speedo part of the loom so need to have that in it unless someone has a Kit CDI for the H1/2 SP loom, I do know of a company that can make me a CDi, but don't want to fork out £150+ for something that might not derestrict the bike without the magic box, where as the Kwak kit CDI will fully derestrict it without the box.

Big ask I know.... Does anyone have a blue print of a made up loom?

Thanks in advance
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Making a loom

Post by ross46 »

There's a race loom diagram in the race manual, that green stuff is copper carbonate, when I sorted out my electrics I had that, I stripped off all the insulation, resoldered all shitty bullet connectors and silicone greased connectors, with old wires I got some flux which you can buy from plumbing shops as they use it when soldering copper pipes, dip the wire in the flux and using a lighter, burn it off and then re-solder, all electrics work a treat now, if not then using the wiring diagram, just run wires one by one to each part and the tape together
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

That's the copper stuff I'm on about - pain in the butt, it's on a lot of the connectors which is shocking

I've seen a couple of places that sell waterproof connector blocks and found a few guides on how to's - I'm more than capable of creating one given the time and patience, it just seems like its the main underlined choice just because of the age etc...

Surprisingly the state of the wires from other components such as the fly wheel/pulsar are in really good nick, just the rest of the loom isn't :(
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

best way to do it, is to methodically remove each wire and replace it with a brand new one, that way you know there are no internal breaks, you know its gonna be like new, and you can properly seal all the connectors with vaseline/dielectric grease.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

Yeah good shout mate, might have to do that, I'd like to shorten some of the loom too being it will only be on the track/day time MOT
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

best way is to fire the bike up, make sure it revs fine in all gears, then start removing/cutting wires and make sure that everything still works...thats how im gonna do my fzr 1000, im removing all the safety switches, city lights, parking wiring, kill switch removal, im removing the reserve switch so it thinks its permanantly full, then im going to fit a tube-type fuel sender as i want to have a fuel gauge and still foam my tank, will wire in the LED lights as well as the new headlights and tail lights, then i will change the position of the battery, fuel pump, exup servo and all the various relays CDI etc...then once thats done it will get a full re-wire so the loom is as compact as possible.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

ive just made a race loom for my zxr running only the bare essentials ie total loss ignition, resistor in place of ignition switch and no starter wires etc (bike is started from a slave battery) been thinking about making these to sell. could quite easily include the wires for charging system/starter motor if required. you wouldnt believe the weight loss using my race loom over the stock one, will get them on the scales when i get a chance. message me if youre interested in having a loom made. basic race loom would be around £45 posted using your connectors or spade connectors, a little more with rectifier/charge system wiring
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by R P Corse »

PM sent!