30 amp fuse keeps blowing

Moderator: Moderators

gazza
My Bike: zxr400

30 amp fuse keeps blowing

Post by gazza »

hi, the bike has been stood for about 4 years before this it was running. i have stripped it down and putting it back together at present i checked the old loom was a bit messy instead of sorting this i bought a second hand loom of a working bike all connectors are fine and cleaned new relays and starter solenoid, problem is it keeps blowing the main 30 amp fuse only thing i can think of is the main wire from starter motor to soleniod as this is the only thing i havent changed any ideas wot be very greatful thanks in advance
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: 30 amp fuse keeps blowing

Post by banner001 »

the only time i have had fuses blow is when there is a short-circuit somewhere, V=IxR voltage is fixed 12V, but a short causes R to drop, which causes I to rapidly rise, blowing the fuse.

I would be checking the areas around the starter relay, starter motor, battery terminals for possible shorts...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Is there anything that your doing when it blows?
gazza

Post by gazza »

i have checked and cleaned all earth points and it blows as soon as i connect the battery
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

In my experience a fuse will blow in case of a dead short. In other words a power wire that is making a connection with an earth source. Quick question though, can you please post a pic of the fuse. I am busy putting my bike together and I am having trouble finding places for all the plugs as well as which type of fuse to use (blade fuse ect).
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Its definately the right size in there?

Make sure everything is turned off, lights indicators etc. Better still disconnect them altogether, even the switch gear. That will eleminate those things at least. Check you havent snagged the loom on the frame, a bare wire shorting with the frame will be sure to blow a fuse.
gazza

Post by gazza »

think i have found the problem starter solenoid is knackered