Bike Batteries Dont Like Winter

Moderator: Moderators

rajrakhiria
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Bike Batteries Dont Like Winter

Post by rajrakhiria »

Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing a new battery for my beloved L9, should my local dealer say its now a dud, as the current freezing conditions has killed it I think. I thought all would be good, as its been connected to an oximiser, however no go.I think its a standard 'YUASA' 12volt. Havent done any searching yet, but can anyone direct me to any other quality batteries, other than standard? (including where to purchase, a mate of mine has mentioned white dogs, online).

Anyone tried jumping a bike off a car, with jump leads or even used a portable power booster, I've been getting mixed messages!

I am happy to fit myself.

Thanks
Raj
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Bike Batteries Dont Like Winter

Post by banner001 »

if you battery has died, then you need a new one.

cold will decrease the capacity of the battery, but i would be wanting to check the alternator and reg/rec to make sure that both are working correctly.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
rajrakhiria
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by rajrakhiria »

Thanks! How about jumping the bike initially with using cables or a portable car booster?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

yes that will spin the starter motor...but if your battery is dead or your alternator/reg-rec is dead then the bike will quickly die...you need to check all the components of the charging system otherwise you will keep having problems.

my bike is regularly left in sub-zero temperatures over winter for 10-12 hours at a time and it fires up fine.

i think the thing to remember with a car battery is that they have a lot more cranking amps so you dont want to leave it connected for any more time than necessary.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003