Junction/Fuse Box Problems

Moderator: Moderators

thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Junction/Fuse Box Problems

Post by thomp1983 »

hi has anyone else on here had problems with the fuse box being corroded? on my l3 i have an issue where the bike doesn't turn over on the button every time, when it doesn't work you press the button and you can hear the relay in the fuse box click but the bike doesn't turn over. after doing some testing i found the issue lies within the fuse box, i have drilled out the plastic rivets on the fuse box and removed the circuit board the bottom of which is heavily corroded and some of the circuits aren't making continuity all the time but there too badly damaged to be able to repair the connections. i have sourced another fuse box which whilst the starter circuit works fine the hi beam circuit doesn't and when ive again removed the circuit board it is in an even worse condition than my original one has anyone else had these issues and found a solution or does anyone have or know where i can get a good condition fuse box suitable for an l3?

cheers
chris
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Junction/Fuse Box Problems

Post by Tirpitz »

I've had no problems. It all depends how the bike has been used. It's not a particularly waterproof design so it wouldn't surprise me to find a bike used year round, or subject to jet-washing, with a corroded fusebox. My advice would be to source a fusebox from a breaker and quiz them about the condition, or better still go collect it personally. Provided the bike has been used mainly in the dry and garaged in winter you should get one in as new condition, and you should find a few of those about. But you will have to quiz as some bikes being broken will be being scrapped because they are corroded shite, so the fusebox will match.

There's absolutely loads of them advertised on Fleabay for not many pennies. Just ask the sellers to confirm that the circuit board isn't corroded and if they say it isn't job's a good 'un. If it arrives looking like shite you've got them by the nads, so I'd expect if they say it's good it will be good. Don't muck about with the knackered one, just get another good one.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Are you sure its the fuse box? I had this issue a few years ago with mine, turned out the contacts for the starter button were corroded. Maybe worth a check?
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Post by thomp1983 »

starter button has been cleaned up, have managed to get a good condition non corroded fuse box and with that fitted the problem seems to be fixed only time will tell if it's for good

thanks for the help
chris
mykel
My Bike: zxr400

Post by mykel »

my xzr400 doesn't send current to the spark plugs ... pls I need help