Wiring a GPS into the ignition system

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Wiring a GPS into the ignition system

Post by banner001 »

Hi guys, i have my GPS powered directly from the battery, it goes through a modifier that drops the voltage down to (i think) 5V and ends in a mini-USB connector.

At the moment the system is "always on", there is minimal drain and i use the bike everyday so the battery is always fully charged, but i am wondering if there is a way to power the GPS only when the ignition is on?

Can i just connect it up to the ignition wires, or will it cause a drain on the ignition system? BTW my knowledge/skill around electronics is not brilliant so make your answers as idiot-proof as possible please :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Wiring a GPS into the ignition system

Post by Mori Man »

Check the wiring diagrame in the workshop manual, follow the ignition barrel main loom down to it's block connector there you will get access to a brown wire (heavy guaged) that is a switched live - tap into that and the unit will only come on when you turn the key. The White wire is a constant live if it has a seperate memory power cable.

Check these colours are right with the wiring diagrame.

Failing that buy an on/off flip switch and wire into your constant live and mount in an easy accessable place and manually switch it off.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

hmmm on/off might be the easier option, im sticking in a lithium battery instead of the lead acid and "i have heard" that the lithium battery's dont like to have things like immobilisers hooked up to them, so i thought the inactive gps mower modifier probably draws a similar current, and would be in a similar position.

if someone has a lithium battery and can shed more light on this that would be ideal...
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Buying one of the composite carbon fibre Lithium batteries today :smt003

Shorai LFX14A2

weighs nothing !

http://www.shoraipower.com/p-152-lfx14a2-bs12.aspx

There's plenty info on them if you google , 2yr warranty so I am taking the plunge. I know several users with them in ZRX11/1200s with the only issue being cold starts on cold days, like 3'c cold but it seems a few attempts to start and leave for 30secs with ignition on then try again and it spins the motor fine.

My bike isn't urgent use in winter that's what the car is for :smt005

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

so it should easity be able to spin up a 400...im still dubious as the the claims ive heard that they dont do well with small drains on them, dont wanna find out its died on me suddenly :D