Pillion Seat Stuck

Moderator: Moderators

superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Pillion Seat Stuck

Post by superman »

ok i have a slight problem i brought my ZXR 400 and it was delivered on sunday its all sweet so far but my brother had a look took the pillion seat off and then put it back on but he put it on wonkey and now its stuck does anyone know a simple way to release it cos the key dont work and iv tried giving it a good pull but i dont want to bust the plastics.

Also i have just had this bike and it has no service history, what would you suggest i do with it ie should i change the oil/ air filter or send it to a mechanic for an engine service of some sort the bike is from 1993.

Thanks in anticepation

Rob.. :smt013
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

hi mate, slide your hand up the left hand side rear panel and you will feel a cable, give it a good pull and it will release the seat.been there done that! if you can't do it pop over to me and i'll sort you out. Got any pics??
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

cheers mate, ill give that a go over the weekend if im still scratchin my head :smt017 ill take some pictures. the seat is pushed down cliped in i think but i think its slid the wrong side of the mechanism the key turns when i put it in but no joy when i pull it. Cheers for the offer thoe mate.
Remember speed kills, so does smoking, drinking, drugs, fast food and many more good things
Jackson
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Jackson »

definately change the oil, you dont wanna cause any top end wear (which is easily done) beacuase of crap oil and change the oil filter too. You can check the air filter to see if its dirty or not then change it if necessary.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Yea cheers mate ill give that lot a go then it will have to be next month thoe cos the bike has cleaned me out at the moment, are all of those things easy to do? i know abit about engines but its different from bike to bike i guess. :smt004
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Yea bang on, thanks very much for the advice 5 seconds just pull the cord and pop, bit worried now cos if someone ever needed a back seat an saw mine just parked up haha.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

isn't there a strap bolting the seat to the frame?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

Strap? na no strap i dont think so anyway! if so how can u bolt somethin on when you lock the seat, i dont think it will pose a problem thoe.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

can't remember which bike it was now but i think when the rear seat was unlocked and removed there was a strap about 10" long from the seat to the frame to stop people nicking the seat.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I think only the imports had the strap, never seen a uk bike with one.
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

ah that will be it then i think mine is a uk model. but unless the strap was metal i dont think it would stop em from round here they would just end up causing more damage i think.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Its not a metal strap its a fabric strap, but im pretty sure its only imports that have the strap.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

says a lot for the foreigners then? :smt003
superman
Full Licence rider
Full Licence rider

Post by superman »

ah rite a pair of sissors would do it then hardly seems worth puttin 1 on. they would have done far better tryin to move that cable out the way abit more but it was easy for me to sort the problem out and ill not park it up alone anyway except my garage.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

so they nick your seat, try to run off and pull the bike over? great move :smt002

personally I wouldn't be two worried about someone pinching it. although some thieving git in bath nicked the filler cap off my 125, and even more bizarrely replaced it with a different one.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits