Torsion Bar and Swingarm

Moderator: Moderators

damienbish
My Bike: ZXR400

Torsion Bar and Swingarm

Post by damienbish »

My swingarm and torsion bar are in pretty bad shape, my guess is from 18 years of paddock stand usage. Ive located a perfect condition swingarm and caliper torsion bar but was wondering how easy they are to remove and fit. In particular the torsion bar. Cant find anything on how to remove the bar on the net. Is that because its a big job requiring removal of alot of fairing and other bits?
Any help appreciated.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Torsion Bar and Swingarm

Post by cargo »

are you able to go to the toilet on your own

if yes then easy job to replace torsion bar

if no have someone else do it
damienbish

Post by damienbish »

Alright mate i'm only asking.
Better to ask and know I can do it quite easily than to start taking bits apart and realise its a hard job when the bikes in bits and I cant move it!
I was also asking about the swingarm replacement as I've heard thats not the easiest of jobs.
Ta
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

swinging arm is easy too

But you'll need to find a way to support the bike...............I use a pair of car axle stands on the footrests (non folding)............it's a race bike
damienbish

Post by damienbish »

Okay thanks mate. Ill be giving it a go in the near future.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Otherwise a bike jack underneath the frame.

Swingarm removal isn't difficult but there's a tool issue. The swingarm nut is a big one (can't remember the socket size offhand) and you probably won't have this size in a standard socket set, so you'll need to buy an individual socket. You will also need a breaker bar to fit the socket to (car wheel nut one ideal) as if you try to use a ratchet the force will break it. You will then probably find the swingarm pivot pin seized in and it will take a big hammer and drift to get it out, and care with force to do it without shafting it.

The point I'm making is that the job is not technically difficult but you are likely to encounter a lot of frustrating complications and you need to be tooled up with a few out of the ordinary items (not out of the ordinary to spannering nerds like meself and Cargo tho :smt002 ). Once you've done it once and put it back together with plenty of grease to avoid future seizures next time is a piece of piss but first time out you'll have a few choice words to say about Kwak's assembly line practices.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock