Swing arm bearings - ZXR 400 H1

Moderator: Moderators

shredtheibanez
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Swing arm bearings - ZXR 400 H1

Post by shredtheibanez »

Hello, I have posted this in the body work section as well but was looking for some advice:

I'm sending nearly everything off to be powder coated and was wondering if the swing arm bearings would survive the process?

I'm looking to replace them anyways and was wondering how to go about it..

I have a bearing press at work so thats not an issue however how would you remove them? Due to the recess on either side you can't just force one side all the way through and pop both out the other side however due to there being a bearing in either side you can't get a socket that fits down there (the socket can't get past the bearing on the other side...)

This seems to be a pain in the ass but am wanting to get them out before powder coating and then put fresh (frozen) ones in by hand.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Ryan
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Swing arm bearings - ZXR 400 H1

Post by cargo »

Not having done this job myself I'd guess that the same principle used for wheel bearings will work............thats to say the bearing can be knocked out from the opposite end using long enough drift/bit of bar/screw driver...............whatever

You will need to either close off the end of the swinging arm to keep the paint/powder out during the coating process OR be prepared to remove any paint/powder coating from the bearing housing in order for the bearing to fit.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

I leave all bearings in place for powder coating.
then after you can knock em out for the new sets, and they may come out a bit easier coz of the heat they have been thru... might make no difference, but at least you have nice clean insides where the coating did'nt touch.

make sure you put old bolts into any threads that are used to stop the coating going in
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Would the powder coating not make removing the bearing very much harder ?

and perhaps even damage the coating on the way out ?
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

Ive never had any probs with it mate.
I tend to stanley knife the edges where i want the coating to stop. then just whack the bearings out normal fashion, and that stops it flaking off.

ahh, also cargo, whilst yr there.. have you heard the rumours about moving the super twins( customs framed tuned minitwins) out of the UL into the lightweights next year? leaving just the normal minitwins with the 400's?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

jake wrote:Ive never had any probs with it mate.
I tend to stanley knife the edges where i want the coating to stop. then just whack the bearings out normal fashion, and that stops it flaking off.

ahh, also cargo, whilst yr there.. have you heard the rumours about moving the super twins( customs framed tuned minitwins) out of the UL into the lightweights next year? leaving just the normal minitwins with the 400's?

Oh badly off topic but what the hell...................

I assume your thinking of the Manx ?
And no I've not heard that..............there was some suggestion that maybe 650s should be moved to the Lightweight race along with the 250s and the UL race would continue as a 125 and 400 race. However I know that the chief scrutineer and tech guy is against that. He is happy to leave it as is for now and I very much doubt that they would run two different 650 races...............classes at the Manx have always been run purely on the capacity and not followed formula type rules.................I reckon that will continue.
Much depends on how much influence Paul Philips has in future he is the TT and Motorsports development officer for the IOM government and has control over government funding for the Manx. I've no idea how Paul will try to change things but I suspect he will want to.

Watch this space as they say

And to get back on topic.................good idea leave the bearings in then.................
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

When i did mine i asked them to mask off where i wanted, such as the bearing seats and brake disk surfaces. Anywhere decent should be able to do that for you.

To remove them, as per Cargo, long drift and a hammer. Hardest bit is getting them started as theres an ally tube in between the two bearings to stop you overtightening the axle. Anyways, this tube can be levered to one side just so you can get a lip of the bearing on the other side. then just work your way round the bearing knocking it out evenly.