Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

ZXR400 L3 Rear Suspension

Post by Wabby »

Hi guys,

Anybody know standard setting?

I looked at myn last night, and it seems to be about half way up the adjustment?

Am I right in thinking that the lower on the adjustment you go, the higher the rear will be, and the faster the bike will turn in?

Cheers :)
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: ZXR400 L3 Rear Suspension

Post by Ballsout Racing »

No no no, don't f*** about with it unless you know what you're doing :smt018

It sounds like you're talking about the pre load adjustment on the top of the spring. Adjusting that gives you 'pre-load'. ie how far down the rear sits, it needs to be set static, ie with no weight, with the bike upright measure from the axle virtically to a fixed point on the seat unit, then lift the rear until the shock 'tops out' ie fully extended, and re measure, the difference between the two is the pre load measurement. On a race bike it should be anything from approximately 5 to 12mm. I don't know what it should be on a standard bike with standard shock. Do not adjust it to just raise the ride height, you'll lose pre load resulting in the shock topping out all the time.

Having said that you may be talking about the top shock mount. You can raise the rear ride height by lowering the U shaped bracket that the top of the shock mounts too. Raising the rear will make the bike turn faster.
CarneyUK

Re: ZXR400 L3 Rear Suspension

Post by CarneyUK »

As ballsout said . don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing.

Worth a read http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_se ... index.html

Raising the back will make the bike turn in faster, but so will dropping it through the forks (if you raise the back by adjusting preload the bike will turn in faster .....just as the back end skips out and spits you off :smt003 ) Definatly worth reading and doing it right. Enjoy