suspension adjustment

Moderator: Moderators

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

suspension adjustment

Post by lewisdale »

i would like the back end of my bike to be a bit higher and the front a tiny bit lower, is this a case of just sticking the forks through the yokes a bit more and tightining the big nut thingy on the rear shock or would it completley mess up the handling etc?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: suspension adjustment

Post by cargo »

why ?
What are you trying to achieve ? in handling terms
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

in handling terms im not trying to achieve anything, basically im trying to make the bike look better, with the back end raised and front dropped slightly, just wandered if it would mess my handling up if i did this?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

By doing what you propose you would change the way the bike steers dropping the front and lifting the rear will make the steering more...................trying to think of the right word.....................lively........... it will turn in more easilly given that ZXR are abit lively anyway............... why would chose to go down that route. A small change won't make too much difference but then a small change prob won't give you the appearance you are after...............................

Of all my race bikes my ZXR is the one that I've never felt the need to change the way it steers
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

may aswell leave it, i wasnt hoping to improve or alter handling, just the appearance, so even if i raised the back and left the front as standard it still would mess it up? if this is the case its staying as it is lol
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

If you really must change it then make sure you note where everything was before you start...................and then of you go.................

and if it is unrideable then change it back

You can alter the ride height at the rear using the adjuster at the top of the rear shock mounting................forks are as you already suggest
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

ok mate thanks for the advice
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Post by stug »

I raised the rear of my old Exup and it made it turn in quicker.
It was a big , old , heavy bike though and it did improve how it handled.
But as Cargo says, the ZXR's handle well to start with so do you really want to mess with it just for looks?
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

nah mate if it buggers up the handling then i wont bother but i will give it a try and see what happens, will just make sure i mark where it was set beforehand incase i do need to put it back
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

yours is a H init mate?
they are not as sharp as standard as the L, so they do benefit from a bit. maybee try 5mm down on the front and 5mm up on the back. Always do one thing at a time and write it down like said.
Ive got my h2 up at the back a lot, and down on the front 12mm. Needs a damper buts she handles v nice.
Dont be tempted to drop the front to much, as it will start pushing the bike wide coming out of corners
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

kool, i did only want to drop the front by maybe 5 mm at the most but wanted the back a lot higher than standard, so you reckon it would be ok but ill need a damper? thats kool, have you any pics of what youres looks like so i have a idea of what mine will be like? cheers
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

and yes its a h2
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

Tbh, its very flighty so i have the damper on quite high, which makes it horrible to ride unless your flat out. It would piss you off before you have even left your house
I would give the damper a miss, and just go 5mm each end.
Mine does'nt look standard cos its a cut off subframe and cbr solid seat backend, so it looks higher anyhow.Plus i use an ohlins shock which is longer.
If you want high back end looks wise for a roadbike, ams rear end is the way
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

yer ok mate will have a go with the 5mm each way and see what happens, cheers mate