Yes I know.. sorry but suspension questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Yes I know.. sorry but suspension questions.

Post by Trash500 »

OK remembering I know next to nothing this may sound kinda dumb.

Im trying to get my suspension settings back to original factory standard. I think it was set way to hard and thats why I feel every damn bump.

On the front suspension The preload is the large silver nut with the circles on it. Was set to 3. Now show 6 out of a possible 7 rings.

The brass screw. Is tight as a gnats chuff. Previous owner has knackered the heads quite a lot and the bit I can get it to turn is about 1-1.5 turns. I get no "clicks and can see no notches ect. They are amlost flush with the top of the large alloy preload nuts.
I think they may be jamed in the tightest postion, am I right? Any way apart from a stripdown to fix it?

Rear shock. I have no idea what the hell I am looking at. I see an adjustable ring with notches for a tool/screwdriver to be placed and lots of adjustment in the threads but no ideas from there.

Sorry and I have read the suspension guides but I dont know what Im looking at so you see my dilemma.

Thanks for any help
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

well, tbh if u cant feel clicks then u arent going to be able to set it up.

Ure going to have to strip the forks and try to "unstick" it or buy a 2nd hand set (mine)

The gold screw sticks out of the top a fair bit, about 5-6mm.

look in the manual, its got standard settings.

the gold screw is rebound i think, mine were set all the way in and was hard as fook

the rear shock u need a c spanner, look in buster etc etc or a motorists discount center.

U need to set up the sag on the rear shock, and that hould do, as there is no other adjustment.
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

RstredS wrote:U need to set up the sag on the rear shock, and that hould do, as there is no other adjustment.
Mine has a little screw on the bottom with 1 to 4 on it (can only just see them right underneath,) to do the rebound damping. Just been looking in the manual aswell and it says it has grease nipples. Might be worth greasing up.

If you got the manual then go to page suspension 12-11. http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/hmodel.html The standard setting is no 2 for a 68kg person.
Trash500
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Trash500 »

thanks guys.

I think the front is stuck. I will have to have them rebiult when the summer is over.
RstredS

Post by RstredS »

carney... so its under teh bike, i will have a look. I dont think mine has, its a hagon, whats urs?
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

RstredS wrote:carney... so its under teh bike, i will have a look. I dont think mine has, its a hagon, whats urs?
Yeah, it's right underneath at the bottom where it connects to the swing arm, and the frame on the bendy thing. Can be hard to find.

My shock has a Kawasaki sticker on it so I think it is a standard one.