Adjusting ride height

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Just had another thought looking at that picture, perhaps taking that bottom nut out all together and just tightening the top one right up, dont see why that wouldnt work, and as simon suggested, drop the yokes a few CM's :)
Loopy
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Loopy »

Would that be safe :?
138mph and it still goes :D

12.80 @ 107mph and still getting faster ;-)

UK's fastest bird 2007 & 2008 ~ zx12r 208mph
Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Post by Tiiimmmaaayyyy »

If you are going to lower the rear it would be best to lower the front also as this would keep the handling characteristics the same as before.
Instead of taking the nut out altogether, why not just get a thinner nut from a hardware shop so that you can keep the adjustability?
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

um, I wouldn't suggest taking the nut out altogether....hmmm not a good idea

if it is at the lower limit you'll have no choice but to drop the yoke
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Loopy wrote:Would that be safe :?
Should be, cant see any reason why not. Putting a thinner nut will give you adjustment rather than just taking it out, it wont give you any.

Post by Guest »

i think the h model has a different shock linkage.
fever

Post by fever »

Anonymous wrote:i think the h model has a different shock linkage.
you might be right there guest.

besides,im a short ass...one foot on the ground @ the lights is all i need.

unless youre a dwarf with really short legs and ride a flintstone's bike...wots the problem? :?
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

I'm a dwarf :lol:

I could let the tyres down :roll:

I am literally tipipy toes, cant even get the ball of my feet down :?

I'm sure I'll survive but will try to lower it slightly to avoid embarrassing situations :oops:

Post by Guest »

Loopy wrote:
I could let the tyres down :roll:
you really are loopy :shock:
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

lol, thats nice isnt it :lol:
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

Firstly, Regarding seat foam, one of the problems is the seat splays your legs, so by narrowing the seat it will become easier to reach the ground without affecting comfort. The foam needs to be trimmed at the sides and more towards the front.

Secondly, you cannot raise the forks through the yolks more than about 15mm otherwise the front wheel will touch the oil cooler and rad under braking.

I think you've established that you can adjust the rear at the top shock mount but before you start, take measurments above the rear axle and drop the rear by about 5mm at a time and do the same at the front.

Racers raise the rear as far as it will go and drop the front up to 15mm to get quicker steering and to hold a tighter line in corners so the total effect would be about 30mm, but they do tend to use steering dampers. So you could just try dropping the front to start with, 5mm at a time, up to 15mm. If you need more then try dropping the rear. BUT please do a little at a time otherwise you may find the bike handles quite radicaly different and could catch you out. Good Luck
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

I've got some super dense gel lite foam, it's about 1inch thick and ever so good, gonna take seat to a local sewing shop who cut down/recover bike seats. Going to see if they can remove the old foam and replace with the gel lite foam. Should sort it. Tried sitting on the bike without the seat and I wont gain a lot by making it narrower as its the bike frame thats rather wide. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford an 'upgrade' to a newer one, I believe they are narrower :wink:

not going to lower the bike through the suspension untill I've tried cutting the seat down first, only thing I do need to do is sort the front end out as it's too hard for me, slowed the rebound but still not getting on with front set up. Back seems superb :D