Adjusting ride height

Moderator: Moderators

Loopy
My Bike: tomos moped

Adjusting ride height

Post by Loopy »

I've been told its relatively easy (for a bloke anyhow) to adjust the ride height on the H model. Any body shortarse enough to have to do this or knows how/where/what I can do :?
138mph and it still goes :D

12.80 @ 107mph and still getting faster ;-)

UK's fastest bird 2007 & 2008 ~ zx12r 208mph
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I know the L model has an adjuster at the top shock mounting not so sure about the H
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah im sure theres an adjuster on the H model, youll be needing a 'c' spanner tho to adjust it. Theres two large nuts at the top, on the threaded part fo the shock, the top one is the locking nut to stop the bottom adjuster moving. undo the locking one and you should be able to move the adjusting one and set it where ever ya liek then usng the 'c' spanner :wink:

But liek i say a 'c'spanner will be very handy indeed, you could use an old screwdriver (as a drift) and hammer to knock the adjuster round but tends to muller the adjuster, and you dont want to be having to buy new ones cos you cant get em i found out the otherday, they come as part of the shock and kwak dont sell em seperately :roll:
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

I wouldn't have thought it'd be a very good idea to drop the rear without dropping the front forks through the yokes too, as it would adversely affect the turn-in...

Most people will also say to take some foam out of the seat, but i don't think it would be worth it with the ammount that comes with the ZXR standard seat!!!

Most people jack up the rear for a reason (faster turn-in, and looks :P ), and i wouldn't even consider lowering the rear until after i'd dropped the front end
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Rob are you sure you've not just described how to adjust the preload on the shock/spring.
:?: :?: :?: :?:
The adjuster I'm talking about adjusts the length of the shock and changes the ride height......I think
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Rob sounds to me like ur adjusting the suspension front end which I know how to do :roll: on the bike I rode the rebound was a bit to quick n bumpy for me so I'll adjust that when I get her and will mean riding out with me socket to tweak it as I go along until she's where I want her to be.

Surely to LOWER the ride height u need to drop the front end through the yokes :? and then do something with the rear which is where I've been told there's a ride height adjuster :?

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

You could always take an inch of foam outta the seat? i'm sure someone has done this before on here, may have been pupps?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah sorry that is the preload isnt it :oops: No im definately talking about the rear shock.

Are you sure you can adjust the ride height tho? The shock mount has two large nuts, one above the frame mount and one below, but i didnt think you could move the bottom one because thats what holds the threaded shaft in place. I doesnt say anything in the manual about it either. :?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

There IS a ride height adjuster on L models.

The top of the shock is mounted in to the frame via a threaded fitting which can be used to effectively lenghten the shock

I would be very surprised if the H model doesn't have this facility too.

I've just looked at the microfiche for the H model on THIS web site and yes it does have an adjuster it's on the microfiche for rear suspension and it's part number 32037.
Click here

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/hmicro.html

and click on rear suspension

Post by Guest »

Rob,
I was looking at a ZXR400 that was beeing raced by Ryan Farquher at the Ulster GP a few years ago and thats when I spotted this ride height thing mostly because of where he had it set........I copied his setting and my bike felt very strange for a while but I soon got used to it.
I couldn't say if it made THAT much difference to how it handled maybe steering was a little quicker
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Oh rite i see, i didnt realise you could use that as a ride height adjuster! The threaded part is welded into place and i thought the big nut was extra to keep it there. So thats cool then :D
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

the above is me rob...stupid log in
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Tell u what, when I get my bike home u lot come round and lower it and I'll stand back and giggle at you all :lol:

thanx for the help/info/advice, I'll have a go when I get it, not sure about taking an inch out of the seat thought, it looks flat as hell as it is :?

SimonH

Post by SimonH »

I would lower the yoke in the forks a couple of cms but watch you don't ground out the fairing....it'll give you quicker turn it too!
SIR (used to) CRASHALOT
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Right here we are, this is the kinda thing you should see on the top of the shock:

Loosen the top one and then undo the bottom one which will increase the ride height, id imagine its at the lowest setting already but ya never know. Other wise you might have to go for taking seat foam out option, or having different linkages made up, how bad it is you feet not touching the floor? Perhaps you could have the suspension strapped down slightly, ive seen Busa's used for drag racing use this option.

Hope the pic helps :)