ZXR 400 L3 rear shock adjusment? Help!

Moderator: Moderators

PeteMint
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

ZXR 400 L3 rear shock adjusment? Help!

Post by PeteMint »

Hi, after some advice.
Only just got my ZXR on the road, and the rear shock seams very soft. It's ok with just me on it, but no way I can take someone on the back, as it would hit the rear hugger.
What adjustments do I need to make to fix this? I was told it was the preload, is this right? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks. Pete.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: ZXR 400 L3 rear shock adjusment? Help!

Post by Tirpitz »

Assuming you have the correct shock fitted for the bike (if you havn't then there's no point going any further) then most shocks (OEM and aftermarket) have a collar over the top of the spring which is threaded on the shock body. There may be a further collar to lock it. You need to turn this collar with a C-spanner to adjust the preload. You want to aim for the bike sitting down about 30mm further when you sit on it in your riding gear. Measure this against some point at the back end of the bike and the ground (you will probably need someone to help as you sit on it).

From the symptoms you describe you need to increase the preload by turning the collar down onto the spring to compress it more (i.e. clockwise) but I'd be surprised if this helps. I don't think it's a preload issue as you say the spring can compress far enough two up forthe bike to foul the hugger. This sounds to me like the spring fitted is too soft. No amount of adjusting is going to cure this as it is either the wrong shock for the bike or the spring is seriously shagged.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
PeteMint
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Re: ZXR 400 L3 rear shock adjusment? Help!

Post by PeteMint »

Thanks for the advice. Hope it isn't ruined. :(