Do i need to change my swing arm sleeve ?

Moderator: Moderators

callum@93
My Bike: zxr 400 L8

Do i need to change my swing arm sleeve ?

Post by callum@93 »

Wondering if anyone will give me a bit advice ? iv just took the bearings out of my swing arm and the sleeve looks slightly worn by the bearings but only on the side which has one roller bearing. iv tryed putting the new roller bearings over it to see how they fit but they dont feel tight on the sleeve, Should i change the sleeve or does this not sound too bad ?

Thanks
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Do i need to change my swing arm sleeve ?

Post by Tirpitz »

I'm thinking this is a common problem, probably due to lack of grease during factory assembly. I took my swingarm out over the winter to grease the bearings and I found wear on this side of the sleeve but only on half of it, so on re-assembly I turned it over. Mine was pitted but not completely wrecked.

If you've got wear all the way round and it has gone through the shiny case-hardening then the bearings are just going to grind their way through the soft metal of the sleeve itself. My concern would be getting a replacement sleeve in good nick with no wear. I would think most 2nd hand ones are going to be similarly worn. I'm not sure whether they are still available new but a call to Cradleys would answer that.

The other option would be to take the existing sleeve to a place that resurfaces bearings. The sleeve could be recoated. Searching on line throws up places who do this work. Again, it's going to come down to cost as to which option is the one to go for.

Deffo just putting it back together is not the way to go. It isn't going to last and it will just chew itself back up again in very little time.

If you find an economical solution to this would you let everyone know?
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
callum@93
My Bike: zxr 400 L8

Re: Do i need to change my swing arm sleeve ?

Post by callum@93 »

Thanks mate, iv looked at the sleeve and it hasent gone past the case hardening and the scratches dont seem very deep, so il have to think about if i have the cash to replace it.

I did look into how much it would be. I found one on e bay new for £50 a think it was.