Duff shock ?

Moderator: Moderators

monty0443
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Gpz400r

Duff shock ?

Post by monty0443 »

Is this a Duff shock.. What looks to be a rubber bung at the bottom of this shock after a wee prod with my fingers is just falling away I bought it as a slightly better upgrade to the pneumatic mono shock on the gpz rebuild I'm up to at the moment.. I would assume that this would cause an instability and therefore sold wrong as it was described in fair/good condition.. anyone more knowledgable care to shed a light..

Thanks

Lyle

Hope this pic works
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: Duff shock ?

Post by Mori Man »

Thats a bottom out damper - the sponge type ones fall to bits after 10 or so years as they dry out.

Some use a Nylon type that are more durable, not having one doesn't effect function of shock just means if you do bottom it out you'll rattle your teeth harder as there is nothing to help absorb the shock.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
monty0443
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by monty0443 »

Awesome.. What would the nylon washers be called.. Its from a GPz550. Im going to try strip t down and clean it up. What paint should I use on the spring.. Would a plastic type paint work i.e. one that leaves a rubbery surface.

Lyle
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

A Bottom out damper

Most MotoX shops sell them and in different colours too, however you need to do a full strip of the shop to fit to damper rod.

Alternativel cut length ways and wrap around rod then bond it back up or zip tie around it.

Any paint will do for spring - never been keen on plastic coating as your anealing sprung steel when it goes into the oven , I know galvanizing will also make them soft too from the process.

My spring is done with rattle can with no prob's.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
monty0443
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by monty0443 »

There is a dampener with a dial at the bottom of the shock. How would I go about removing it to put in nylon bottom out dampener? Does it one out easy enough? Have spring off and fully sanded down ready to spray tonight!!

Thanks
Monty