setting the suspension (done to death i know)

Moderator: Moderators

hudders
My Bike: zxr400

setting the suspension (done to death i know)

Post by hudders »

Hi forum people,

Been trawling through your suspension posts, and cant find some info. Here is a post:

Standard adjustments are as follows;

Front Fork
Spring Preload Adjustment: 7 adjustment marks (default is 5th from top)

Rebound Damping Force Adjustment: 12 clicks (default is 7th click from fully turned in)

Rear Shock

Rebound Damping Force Adjuster: 4 settings (default is position 2)

The manual states the default positions are for a rider of 68kg. I myself am 75kg. Anyone any suggestions for some good fast road settings?

Now im 83kg with all me gear on. I cant find which direction you turn the little screws makes what difference. On the front forks, both my little brass screws are 16 clicks. they were 4 from the far right , i reset them to middle 8 clicks from right. This seems to have affected the travel when i get on the bike from 23mm to 18-19mm

there are 5 marks on the preload? adjusters.

Anyone with any pre knowledge of what my settings should be based on my weight?
hudders

Re: setting the suspension (done to death i know)

Post by hudders »

to explain more i guess what i need to know is :
1. do i stick to "righty tighty lefty loosy" ie turn right to increse and left to decrease
2. any 6ft 2 83 kg clothed blokes on here messed around with there stock zxrsuspension with great results they would like to share that may save me some time and the possibility of screwing up my suspension!
hudders

Post by hudders »

also....

If i increase spring preload, this means that im heavier, and decrease means im lighter i guess?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

This, just this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

Keith Code is a god, he will see you right.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
hudders

Post by hudders »

Awesome.that is exactly what i was looking for mate thanks!

im 85 kg with all kit on so i went 3.5 rings on the front forks preload and +2 clicks on rebound. The rear was exactly like the video you posted, it was at 40mm travel and i wound the preload one turn in and it went to 35mm sag. The shock was on position 4 so i reduced it to 2. Then I reduced rear tyre pressure from 40psi to 32, front to 32.

And now its a different bike. might be able to get rid of teh chicken strips although maybe not for a while :smt010
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

get one butt cheek off the the side, and push up on the bar.

you know about counter-steering right?
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

hudders

Post by hudders »

counter steering gets done without me thinking about it riding quick. Its just that to get that bit further I am going outside my comfort zone and maybe outside my limitations right now. roundabout testing needed on this new setup tho.

I guess you have to add a controled amount of pressure in a more conscious way once your on the way down into a corner to acheive the kind of lean angle that uses the whole tyre. And going into it hotter than i dare right now!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

What shoes is the bike wearing?

hudders

Post by hudders »

new set of maxxis supermaxx sport. when warm, lovely but you do gotta keep them warm
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

This aint gonna help your confidence much BUT...

They are cheap for a reason. I think i had BT090 and they were very good but didnt last long.
The ones ill be getting shortly are the Dunlop Roadsmarts. I had them on teh CBR600 and they are top notch.
Epic grippy in the wet and dry, and last yonks.

hudders

Post by hudders »

its difficult for me to compare cause i have nothing to compare to but they are only 50miles in and they offer more confidence and grip than the bt021 touring i had on the back.The 014 on the front was anihilated no tread at all on the right hand rbt side so cant compare the front.

Theres some really good reviews out there. In my research for getting the tyres i saw bad reviews of every premium tyre. the promise of equal grip and predictable rubber for 60 quid less was too much! They are soft thats definate.

I dontthink kneedown is notcomingdue to tyres its due to rider pussy-ness biggrin
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

BT021 are horrendous tyres....

The CBR600 come with them fitted by the dude i bought it from.
Slipped out on ever bloody round about.

Ripped them off, got the Roadsmarts :D

Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Yor front and rear tyre pressures shouldn't be the same. You've got the front right at 32, that's what Kwak recommend. Rear should be 36. Racers do run the tyres softer but they generate more heat, plus are not so bothered about wear. If you run the tyre too low at road speeds you will wear it out too quickly and it will run with the wrong profile. It will also tend to squirm around. This will adversely affect handling.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Keith code "thinks" he's a god. :)

Here's a great spot for suspension info. Dave is one of our local suspension guys. He's very good at explaining everything. Look for the instructional videos on the site.
http://www.crstuning.com/
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Once you do the initial settings, mind and take the tools with you and adjust to your riding style. Go along a section of road you know well, you want a mix of different bends and short/long straights.

Increased countersteering will increase your chicken strips unless your leaning well over too !

Nothing wrong with the BT021s on my bike - front sides are worn out , some tread in middle / rear has plenty life with good profile. Mileage is around 3,500 Miles.

Next will be BT092s , as sticky as the 90s but last a wee bit longer, again front is stuffed before rear but rear sides are past the TWI :smt003 Still grip like fook though

Tyre pressures make a huge difference, I've never checked mine cause I don't have any handling problems , if & when I do they will be .....

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly