Suspension linkage

Moderator: Moderators

harrygila

Suspension linkage

Post by harrygila »

Hi everyone, i finally bought my self a zxr400 again and it's a H model.
I have recently replaced the rear shock with Ohlins one that came off from zx6r. The top mount is fitted nicely eventhough i had to swap the top mount with the zx6r one. but the bottom linkage seems too short so the shock is rubbing against the swinging arm, it doesn't rub when the bike is under load. I'm just wondering, is the linkage on the L model longer than the H? or they are just the same?
many thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Suspension linkage

Post by RedexRobB »

No idea about the measurements, but welcome back harry.
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

I'm not sure about differences in length, but the centre bush (where the dogbones bolt through) is offset on the L model and central on the H model. Zimm would know, sure he has dabbled with different linkages??
Hope this helps

SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
harrygila

Post by harrygila »

Hi rob thanks buddy. It's nice to finally own one these mighty 400 again, nice knee down picture Rob and nice bike colour too.

Thanks Soilzx, so that means the L linkages cannot be used for the H? thanks for the info i was about to buy the L linkages off ebay lucky u told me this
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

I do believe they are interchangable, although i cant be 100% sure
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

they are all interchangeable mate.
the h1,h2,and L all have the same dogbones. And each model has different, but interchangeable linkages.
I cant remember what had what ratios ( there here somewhere on the site, just need a search)
I used to use a H2 linkage on the H, that with the ride height up and the ride height up on the ohlins got me where it needed to be with no swingarm problems.
I use a H linkage on the L

have a look for roger rmkd magazine review for his bike( again in the search somewhere), he mentions a bit about the linkages in there
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

they all swap with a stock shock.. might be different if the ohlins is a bit fatter ...

the gsxr shocks I acquired in a job lot of parts rubbed on H1 swingarms as you describe, infact the swingarm that i got with them had been viciously attacked with err .. well something not very subtle in order to create clearance. I binned it, fitted an unmutilated swingarm and fitted a stock shock

didnt rub on my L1 though.. same linkage, same shock, same dogbones.. was close, but didnt rub.. so i guess its a swingarm difference.

Didnt have an H2 to do a trial fit on, so no idea there.