What forks am I using???

Moderator: Moderators

UK II Kazawacky
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 400 L1

What forks am I using???

Post by UK II Kazawacky »

Hi guys, my front forks have recently started leaking... badly, therefore I need some new fork seals. Now, I'm trying to take the forks off, I've taken off the fairings, brake calipers and speedo cable, and I've come to a problem.
I'm trying to take the front wheel off but I have upside-down forks, and they are completely different to the ones on the manual I downloaded off our "mother-site".
Instead of there being one bolt across and one bolt facing up at the bottom of the fork, there are 2 bolts across and a MASSIVE allen key hole on the spindle, does anyone know what forks I'm using so I can order some seals and also so I know how to get the front wheel out without breaking anything.

Thanks
Nick
Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: What forks am I using???

Post by CaNsA »

so at the bottom of the forks there is one huge spindle nut and two smaller allen bolts called "pinchers"

if thats the case you have the same as me, standard L1 forks as far as i know.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
UK II Kazawacky
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Hmm, well they're aren't like the ones on the manual, and my next-door neighbour has said that he has the same forks on his gixxer 750. I'm confused. I'll take a couple of photos and get them on here if I can. Could it be that gixxer forks are so common on ZXRs that yours are the same?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

theses are my forks.

standard zxr400 L1

http://i37.tinypic.com/s67tkj.jpg
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

UK II Kazawacky
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Ah, fair enough, turns out I just bought a suzuki manual for nothing then :pmsl Yeah those are what mine look like, but a bit leaky, how come the ones on the downloaded manual look different?
OK so now I know what I'm using, I've got the 2 pinchers out, can I knock the spindle out or do I need a certain size allen key to get it out? My 10mm key didn't fit
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

i dunno what manual you are looking at but i see there is one allen pinch bolt shown and two holes.
the diagram is viewed fom the back of the fork.....

you have selected the L manual and not the racing or H one innit?

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

:ffs

You bought a Suzuki manual to help you replace the fork seals in a ZXR400 :smt017 because your neighbour told you his gixer 750 had the same forks :smt017

gixer 750s first appeared in 1985 and have been updated every year since. Lets say they changed the forks every 3rd year or so thats 8 different kinds of forks that your neighbour says are the same as a ZXR400 :smt017 :smt017 did it no occur to you to go next door and look at his forks :smt017 and see that they are different ?

The forks in the manual downloadable from ZXRworld are the forks as fitted to the ZXR400 its a Kawasaki manual as produced by the same people that built your bike I'm guessing they know a lot more about ZXR400s than your neighbour who is clearly a :wanker

Everything you need to remove the front wheel etc to change the fork seals in in the manual however it requires you to read it and look carefully at the pictures and drawings. The drawings in the microfiche also downloadable from ZXRworld and useful.......................... it is also coverd in many posts on the forum................. use the search

Go sell the Suzuki manual to your neighbour :wanker .......................he needs it
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Cargo, i agree.
And this member is made of

FAIL!!!!!!

UK II Kazawacky
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

OK
1. I'm pretty new to this sort of thing and thought that asking people who know about it, aka my dad, would be a good idea, my dad said that my neighbour said that he had the same sort of forks. Now, cargo, don't you think I wanted to ask him? I would've done and gone and looked at his bike but he was at work.
2. My neighbour is not a " :wanker " as you so call him, he's a nice guy who has helped me no end to make my bike roadworthy, your opinions mean nothing to me
3. I'm fine with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism but as you only seem to be able to be patronising and condescending cargo, it's a tad pointless you posting.

Thank you for your input CaNsA... very insightful.

I'll go and figure this problem out by myself
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Dude, u get "lee-way" for being a new guy.

but you bought a suzuki haynes manual for a kawasaki bike.....
also, you failed to use common sense and look at your neighbours forks before you bought the haynes.
that is fail, pure lack of common sense...

AND FYI, dont give cargo any toad, i love him. I want his babies.

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

you want my babies shocking ..................? is that physically possible ????? :smt017

Why does this this thread remind me of that great thread on a US forum we had a link to a few months back..................you know the one with the guy who put two full bottles of an energy drink into the tank on his bike in the hope it would run better ...................I'm wondering has he moved to the UK :pmsl .............that was a gixer too. :smt002

@ UK II Kazawacky read this bit again................... it will help

"Everything you need to remove the front wheel etc to change the fork seals in in the manual however it requires you to read it and look carefully at the pictures and drawings. The drawings in the microfiche also downloadable from ZXRworld and useful.......................... it is also coverd in many posts on the forum................. use the search"