Fork Seal Blown :S

Moderator: Moderators

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Fork Seal Blown :S

Post by CaNsA »

I dont seem to be havin much luck lol.... 1st the HG was blowing between #1 + #2 but got that sorted along with a cam rod thingy getting replaced
My left seal has blown :smt013 Still managed to do a 400 mile roundtrip up n down the M6 this weekend with it pissing everywhere though. :pmsl
Cant find a price online for bushes, wemoto says about 8quid for seals though. Is it worth pulling the bushes from the buggered forks i have in the garage? If not anyone know how much a set would be?
Worth doing myself (i have a tendancy to fuk things up) ?

Cheers
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Fork Seal Blown :S

Post by SOILZX »

I've just had mine done, seals where £40 from Cradely.
There is a thread on here for doing them http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/forks.html
I was gona do my own, but the guys from my local Honda Centre only charged £20 (including oil) to fit them, so i thought sod it!!!!

Seals are cheep from Wemoto etc, but are they any good?? I would think most on here would suggest getting OE seals.
Hope this helps

SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Cheers for the heads up soilz,
With regards to Wemoto, im not sure. I bought some fork seals for the CLR125 last year before i sold it so i dont know if they have exploded yet lol.

Think i might have to go for the cheaper option, the missus is giving me evils cos i keep spending what little cash i have on the bike lolz
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

I would recommend getting original parts, though they are that bit more expensive they should last longer then the cheapy Jap ones (no doubt they are the same from Cradleys like the headrace bearings :pmsl ). I got a set off Busters as they were the cheapest around but found that they started leaking very soon so had to replace them again! and again! and again!

I've changed about 5 sets of seals since I've had the bike and if I was to do it again I would take it to my local garage to do as it would be so much easier unless you have the necessary tools or a home made jig. The amount of heart-ache and time to do them by hand is a pain in the butt (doable with a very strong mate).

Ciaran
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Well, seeing as today was valentines day i thought i would spend some time with the one i love.

Stripped the front end, got the fork out, drained it, removed the internals.
And thats where i hit a snag.
I couldnt for the life of me get the forks to separate.

gonne use a vice and a club hammer tomorrow and see it that works.....

U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

You need a good snapping pull on both ends and that normally gets it apart. I think there is a guide that helped me on the main 400 website by diesel I think.

Ciaran
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Been doing that all day, along with using a pitted, spare stancion and trying the "piledriver" method.

We shall see what happens

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GLUES FORK SEALS IN?????!!!?!?!?!!?! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
FFS STILL CANT GET THIS OUT

YES IM USING CAPS

YES I AM ANGRY AND SHOUTING ON THE INTERNETS!!!!!!!

will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

Last ones i did had the caliper mount in the vice and 2 of us pulling on the other end, seemed like it wouldn't move at all then it suddenly shifted and we literally fell over. It seemed like something was really wrong but new, seals, bushes and wipers took us 3 hours for 2 forks. Never done it before then either.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by CaNsA »

Few questions.

Is this the right order for the innards?
http://i47.tinypic.com/1088vav.jpg

And is it better for the piston to move freely or have a little bit of resistance?

Cheers