Stupid forks

Moderator: Moderators

bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Stupid forks

Post by bengone1 »

Went to rebuild the forks and wuddaya know? They are pitted on the inside of the legs. As luck would have it, I have a complete 03 ZX6R front end sitting around.

Any Machining needed? Or can I bolt it straight into the triples? I don't need a speedometer or I will rig an electronic one later. Thanks for ant input. I should be posting some pics as soon as I get it together and before I take it to the track!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Stupid forks

Post by RedexRobB »

they should bolt straight in without any mods to the yokes. Its when it comes to fitting the wheel youll need some spacers made up iirc.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I think you need the yokes from the 600 as well
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

Is there any post or person I could ask? I have the parts and am itching (literally, I have poisen ivy) to get this bike back on the road for some tuning before my trackday.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I know for sure the complete front end from a 04 ZX6 will go straight in forks wheels yokes brakes et all

If memory serves me right you need to leave about 50mm of fork showing above the top yoke cos the ZX6 forks are longer

There is a thread on here somewhere about doing this conversion.

It is also possible to replace the tubes on your orginal forks................I've had that done to a set.............. or have them rechromed
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

Whew! What a relief. I was worried I was going to need some spacers machined. Good machine shops are not too easy to come by.

I have the complete 636 setup but I will try it with the 400 yokes for shits and giggles.

I won an 01 GSXR rear shock and spring on Ebay for $30. If I have the time I will hack that on as well. Getting rid of the weeping factory unit.
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

The swap was easy. I used the 636 brakes and all. The yokes are the same diameter and width apart. The offset of the steering stem is different. I kept the 400 yokes. If you switch to the 636 bits you will alter the geometry a bit.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

so to do this conversion all thats needs is ZX6R forks brakes and wheel ?
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

forks, brakes, wheels, rotors, axle, spacers. Yep!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Excellent :excited
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

Worked good at the track. I was getting some "skipping" under hard braking. I am thinking it is a comp or rebound adjustment. However I suck at suspension setup. Any ideas?
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Could be all of that, make sure it's sprung correctly too. The forks can be revalved but the stock valving worked pretty well for me. I've got traxxion cartridges now and it works even better. I've used the 03/04 and 05/06 triples as well for awhile. The give you a bit more trail, but then you have clearance issues with the radiator. Each year has more trail, the 05/06 hit the radiator too much but it also allowed a lot of trail braking without feeling like it was going to tuck either. Right now I have the stock triples and 06 forks and wheel, .95 springs with new cartridges. Not only are the forks more supple but the braking with a brembo master and vesrah pads is amazing. I usually only use one finger, sometimes two. :excited :excited I usually make up lots of time on the brakes without much stress.
Good to see there is another zxr being tracked here in the states. I'm on the west coast and race with the AFM.
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

Eh, You can't call what I do "tracking a bike". More like screwing off in a closed course with adult supervision. I have Vesrahs on an 05-06 front end on my ER6F the brakes are great even with the stock MC. I was considering swapping to that setup on the 400.
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

The skipping was a slightly out of shape rotor. I figured I would get a pulsing in the lever but no. It just skipped under hard braking. I actually swapped an 05-06 6RR front end on to the 400 and put the 03-04 setup on my ER6F and I could feel the rotor better.