Too many clicks (front forks)

Moderator: Moderators

jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Too many clicks (front forks)

Post by jackdim »

Setting up my suspension and the settings seem way out from stock, however the manual states that the click range for the front fork rebound is 12, with 6 counterclockwise clicks from a fully clockwise position being the stock setting. However from the fully clockwise point I actually have 20 clicks on each fork until it reaches a fully counterclockwise position. Is this normal? Should I just wind it right in and turn it out 6 times?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Too many clicks (front forks)

Post by RedexRobB »

id wind it right in and back out 10 times, assuming that 20 clicks is the same adjustment as 12. Adjusters are funny things on these bikes, ive heard people before having problems like this. Mine are odd that although they have 12 clicks, the adjustment screw sticks out further than the other :s
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

When i set mine, i found that 1 leg had more clicks than the other :smt017
I've set them so that they are same (taking into account that the 1 has less clicks) and that they are the same height. I am sorting the bike out through the winter and appears to have a slight leak from a fork seal on the left leg, so whilst i'm having the fork seals done, do you think it would be worth getting the forks overhauled??
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
jackdim
My Bike: yz490

Post by jackdim »

Same as mine! One leg has 12 clicks and the right has 26, fucking lol. My other spare set of forks have 12 clicks on both so will give them new seals and swap them over soon. I just set mine both in the middle and it feels sooooooo much better, I also wound up the preload to 6th from top as it was only on 5th.

I also turned up the rebound dampening on the rear shock from 1 to 2 so I have more dampening there as well. Bike has now stopped trying to chuck me off at every bump in the road now.