spring weight

Moderator: Moderators

AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

spring weight

Post by AFM327 »

Just curious what shock spring weights are everyone using? I picked up an H2 linkage I'm going to try, and I'll try some different spring weights while getting my penske revalved since it was due for servicing. It's always been a bit on the stiff side.
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: spring weight

Post by AFM327 »

Put the H2 linkage on and the rear feels much better. I may get another rocker made to to try another ratio, that or see if how a zx6r link works. I'm also curious, about eye to eye lengths and spring weights? Nobody has chimed in yet. I'm about 210 lbs, H2 rocker and 425lb spring on a penske shock. So what kind of set-up are the rest of you running?
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

Im about to do a bit of experimenting too mate.
at the mo ive got the H2 linkage on a h2 with an ohlins shock.
Im dropping my forks and ohlins off at maxton tomorow. So once they respring it, i will compare the new spring weight to the existing ohlins spring and report back.
Ive got the 3 sets of linkgages, h1,h2 and L to try. So interested to find out how yours rides with the h2.
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

It feels better with the H2 linkage. I'm getting more movement in the rear now. And the tires, Pirelli SC2 slicks are wearing better as well. Also it's not as harsh on harder edged bumps. Did you get you bike back, if so what was the rear spring weight. I'm also interested in seeing what the eye measurement everyone is at on the rear shock. I'm the only one racing a ZXR 400 here that I know of so not much else to compare.
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Anyone else have info to compare? Spring weights and eye to eye length on the rear shock. I'd like to see what king of swingarm angle people are using. I'd raised the ride height some when I put the ZX6rr forks on the front and I was getting some pumping in the rear on fast sweepers. Reducing the rear ride height and adjusting the front got rid of the pumping and kept the handling where I wanted it. I had also upgraded the front springs to a heavier set which allowed me to trail brake into the turns more and keep the front more in the middle of the stroke.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

interesting stuff ..

I found raising the back of a zxr just made it more prone to lifting the rear wheel on the brakes, minimal effect on turn in.

have a number of linkages here to play with, mostly H1 or L, although i may have an H2 somewhere .. do have a fabled NWS linkage, but apparently its only any good with a stock shock as its designed more to correct the damping characteristics of the OE shock than anything else .. i imagine it'd be mushy as hell wth a decent shock

I dont know what weight spring is on my nitron, guessing lighter than normal as they asked what i weigh, and when i told them (im ~57kg btw) it took a week longer to arrive as apparently they had issues finding a spring and valving to suit... could have been marketting spin who knows ? not me .. never used it :(
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Putting the heavier springs in the front also helped keep the rear on the ground during heavy braking as the bike stays more neutral. Any chance you could measure the NWS linkage for me? I'd like to see how it differs from the L and H2 rocker. Are the link arms different too or is it just the ratio on the rocker?
I have a couple friends that are machinists that might be able to make more of them. One is working on a gullwing style top triple to match up better with the zx6r forks.