I've had it with these brakes.

Moderator: Moderators

Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

I've had it with these brakes.

Post by Scott221 »

Finaly got my new racefit type exhaust yesterday for the bike (after nearly 2.5 months waiting.) Took it out for a spin, everything was fine, bike was singing, brakes were spot on, then all of a sudden they started to get spongey. Then they just suddenly went, I had about 20% braking power from the front. I pull over to the side to find fluid leaking out of my LH side caliper. This has happend before when I rebuilt the calipers. I havn't done anything wrong, and I used the same type of seals in the RH caliper as I did the left. Could they're be a defect with the actual caliper/fluid ways? I didnt replace the little seal between the oil way that sits between the calipers, could that be it? This will be the 4th time i've rebuilt this caliper :ffs
One life, Live it!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: I've had it with these brakes.

Post by masterofinsanity »

whereabouts is it leaking from mate? between the calipers? if so i'd say replace that little seal. anywayz stranger lets have some pics of this exhaust and are you selling the old end can?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Hate to sound harsh but either your doing something wrong or there is something wrong with your caliper.

Seals fitted correctly not twisted ? seal groove cleaned properly ? is there damage to the pistons ? or the bore of the caliper ?

Are you using genuine Kawasaki seals ? or dodgy pattern ones ?..................for brakes given that your life depends on them I'd stick with the genuine ones

Like any hydraulic system the fliud will allways find the easy route in the case of brakes that means you lose ALL braking power if there is a fluid leak
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

I'm just rebuilding 2 sets of standard calipers for racing next year, they seem very simple to work on, did you loctite the 2 halfs retaining bolts?
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

I rebuilt the calipers right. If I didnt then the RHS one wouldn't be working right. The bolts aren't locktight no. I used seals provided by Wemoto, they looked precisely the same as the ones I took out. The caliper appears to be leaking from the the bottom (if you imagine you are looking at the caliper face on, the right hand end where the two halfs join)

Appologies for the shite photo, better ones will follow. Next job is to make a fancy hanger. Sounds the fucking dogs danglies!
One life, Live it!
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

thats looks well cool, where you get it? and do they do different diametre slip ons?

When i rebuilt my standard brakes, for the last time :smt012 , they pissed fluid out also. My problem was i had a scratch on one of the pistons, did'nt look like much, but enough for the caliper to piss itself.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Scott221 wrote:I rebuilt the calipers right. If I didnt then the RHS one wouldn't be working right. The bolts aren't locktight no. I used seals provided by Wemoto, they looked precisely the same as the ones I took out. The caliper appears to be leaking from the the bottom (if you imagine you are looking at the caliper face on, the right hand end where the two halfs join)

Appologies for the shite photo, better ones will follow. Next job is to make a fancy hanger. Sounds the fucking dogs danglies!
Once again I'm not trying or intending to be rude or unpleasant.....................but

The fact that the right caliper is ok does not mean that you built the left one correctly far from it

and just because a seal from wemoto looks the same does not mean that it is the same.

Calipers are built to tight tolerances they have to be. Any kind of damage or misfitting seal or error in building could lead to a fliud leak especially if you think of the pressure in there under hard braking

and to be honest not once have I ever felt the need to dismantle a bolt together caliper..................can somone give me good reason for taking one apart ?
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

Not wishing to offend anyone here but alot of these 400cc bikes have been owned by people who simply dont know what they are doing so in the interest of safety and as mine is a race bike i stripped fully 4 calipers and i'm in the process of rebuilding.

Scott if its leaking take the caliper off, hold it at the side of the bike, clean off any fluid and press the brake whilst wedging something in between the pads, you'll soon see where its coming from, i didn't intend to offend you with my previous comment and certainly didn't wish to suggest you'd done something wrong. Sometimes toad happens with anything and even if it were a kawasaki seal things can still fail best of luck. :smt001
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400L3

Post by andyvanderpandy »

cargo wrote:
Scott221 wrote:I rebuilt the calipers right. If I didnt then the RHS one wouldn't be working right. The bolts aren't locktight no. I used seals provided by Wemoto, they looked precisely the same as the ones I took out. The caliper appears to be leaking from the the bottom (if you imagine you are looking at the caliper face on, the right hand end where the two halfs join)

Once again I'm not trying or intending to be rude or unpleasant.....................but

The fact that the right caliper is ok does not mean that you built the left one correctly far from it

and just because a seal from wemoto looks the same does not mean that it is the same.

Calipers are built to tight tolerances they have to be. Any kind of damage or misfitting seal or error in building could lead to a fliud leak especially if you think of the pressure in there under hard braking

and to be honest not once have I ever felt the need to dismantle a bolt together caliper..................can somone give me good reason for taking one apart ?
to paint them, replace/ check seals and pistons? its only 4 bolts and some seals, as long as he was careful sliding the pistons back in i see no reason to question his spannering.

i replaced seals with ones from wemoto and they were fine, ive come to the conclusion they are just shite calipers no matter what you do to them! get some nissins!
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

oh and yea, it sounds like the smaller o ring needs repllacing
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted

Post by Scott221 »

Last time this happend, when I removed the caliper from the bike and pumped the brake lever, fluid was kind of gathering on the left piston. I'll get them off and have a looksie.
One life, Live it!
andyvanderpandy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Scott221 wrote:Last time this happend, when I removed the caliper from the bike and pumped the brake lever, fluid was kind of gathering on the left piston. I'll get them off and have a looksie.
i guess theres only 5 things to check:

caliper walls
seals
pistons
bleed nipple
banjo

i had a bleed nipple that leaked somehow on mine too.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

andyvanderpandy wrote:
Scott221 wrote:Last time this happend, when I removed the caliper from the bike and pumped the brake lever, fluid was kind of gathering on the left piston. I'll get them off and have a looksie.
i guess theres only 5 things to check:

caliper walls
seals
pistons
bleed nipple
banjo

i had a bleed nipple that leaked somehow on mine too.
I had the same thing with the bleed nipples, but I changed them to aftermarket ones. Put the originals back in and they were fine.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

First of all, love that end can you got there! that fitted to a Micron?

Secondly, no disrespect to wemoto but they don't always send out the right parts. I ordered 2 piston and seal kits for the rear caliper 1 day and they sent me both the wrong items, I rung them up and told them the order number on the items and they didn't match the sheet. So maybe they sent you 1 kit right and 1 kit wrong?

It happens.

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

get yourself some of these mate...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-R6-R-6-5MT ... 240%3A1318

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!