Rear Brake pad removal

Moderator: Moderators

Ali J
My Bike: tomos moped

Rear Brake pad removal

Post by Ali J »

Hello again,

I’m having a nightmare trying to sort the rear brakes on my bike in that I can’t get the pins holding the pads in place, out of the calliper!

I knackered the calliper that is on the bike as the pin snapped and I had to drill the old one out. Being ham fisted and not having a long enough drill bit, I have over drilled the holes and the pins move around.

I have just bought another calliper off Ebay but those pins are in solid as well.

Can I use heat to get them out or will this damage the calliper or are there any other suggestions?

Help

Ali
Do we all grow horns when we ride!!
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Re: Rear Brake pad removal

Post by Northern ANdy »

moderate heat is good, you will probably burn paint before the seals suffer, which will give you an indication how much heat you've got in the caliper. I think If you carfully use a blow lamp and rely on the pads soaking up some heat you should be ok. You could always saw through the pins so you can work on unsticking one end at a time
Andy
Ali J

Post by Ali J »

Cheers for that!

I think I'll give the heat a go first as I used the 'sawing through the pins' method on the first calliper before I drilled them out and buggered them :(
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I had the same problem on another bike, i just got a thin pair of mole grips on them and twisted them till they loosened up, applying some oil. Not too much tho, just a small amount.

You could always drill a hole through part of the caliper where the pin stops, then put a nail through and hammer it out?
Ali J

Post by Ali J »

I wimped out and gave the caliper to friend. He got them out using brute force and ignorance :smt013

Cheers anyway!