front wheel spindal

Moderator: Moderators

kwackkev22
My Bike: tomos moped

front wheel spindal

Post by kwackkev22 »

i cant get the front wheel to tighten up properly with the spindal the speedo drive was loose so this got me thinking the forks must have opend up a bit since rebuilding the bike so i set about tighting it up. is it just a case of nipping the spindal up to hold the speedo drive then tighten the fork clamps up i cant seem to get the right balance because if i tighten it up to hold the speedo drive the front wheel is hard to turn but if i loosen it off the speedo drive flops around :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: front wheel spindal

Post by zimm »

new wheel bearings !

sounds like the old bearings have either got damaged (over tightened wheel spindle ?) or just worn, or shifted within the wheel.. is the spacer tube between them free to wobble about a bit ? or tight as a tight thing ? (bet its tight)

new bearings correctly seated in the wheel should sort it... if the spacer tube has been damaged and is shorter than it ought to be, a shim can be added behind one of the bearings (not the one that presses back to a lip inside the wheel.. the other one ..hich just presses up against the spacer) to even things up again
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

are you tightening it to the correct torque and is the spindle in the right way round?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Have you got the spacer in the other side ?

Is the speedo drive correctly engaged within the wheel ?

Are you putting the spindle in from the correct side ?

Are you sure your not mixing H and L parts ?

And finally for now was it OK before you took it apart ? Cos I'd be amazed to see how "the forks must have opend up a bit" all on their own ?????????????????????????????????????????