changing tyres

Moderator: Moderators

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

changing tyres

Post by lewisdale »

hi there, going to change my tyres tomorrow, theres only one bike shop local to me and the :wanker is trying to charge me twenty quid a wheel, and thats if i take them off, is there any way of doing it myself? i wont have a problem taking the tyres off, my problem is what to reseal them with? will fairy liquid do? or a bar of soap, with some water and a brush? plus will a normal petrol staion compressor pop the bead bk on?
Tyrant

Re: changing tyres

Post by Tyrant »

Local car place near me did mine for a fiver.
How do you get tyres on and off yourself?
zxrjohn14
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxrjohn14 »

NO!! never use fairy or soap!! when the wheel is balanced ie the red dot on the tyre goes to the valve and then you put the weights on, thats where it needs to stay. soap will not adhere the tyre to the rim and move round, and your wheel will be out of balance.
its a very bad move in my opinion.
£40 is very harsh and the tyre man is taking the p*ss.
tyre soap is the only thing to use and i think busters do some. its only about £10 for 5 litres.
a petrol station pump would do it, i've actually seen a racer do it with a foot pump :pmsl (richie walsh, thank you for that memorie!!)
good luck and your local tyre man is a complete :wanker
:smt001
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

if you tell us where your based someone may recommend a place that'l do it for a better price.
I find the norm is £10 per wheel. Cheaper if you buy the tyres from the bloke who's changing em.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

found someone that done it for 12 quid a wheel, local car tyre places wouldnt touch them!!
Caz
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: GSX-R600 K4

Post by Caz »

£20 a wheel is a bit harsh - but ive seen a couple of places charge that if you dont buy the tyres from them.

Shop around a bit - you should easily find somewhere that will do a loose wheel for £10. Quite often places will do a deal if you buy a pair of tyres and get them fitted, so for me it works out a bit better to pay the extra on the tyres and get the discounted fitting.

Caz
GSX-R600 K4
ZXR400 H2
Commuter: Gilera Runner 180SP

Contributing writer to:http://jocke.selincite.com