Moderator: Moderators

Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Changing rear wheel bearing?

Post by Wabby »

How difficult is this?

Was advised at last MOT, and is getting rather loud now. Gonna have the wheel off for a tyre change, so wondering if its possible to do them yourself?

If so, how?

:excited
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Changing rear wheel bearing?

Post by hciR »

Not too hard if you have the right tools/ stand etc. I think i'm right in saying there are three bearings at the rear, two either side of the wheel and one in the hub.
A socket or something the same size as the bearing would be needed to tap them home, also freezing them and heating the wheel will make it easier. There are C clips which need removing so best if you have the right pliers too.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Changing rear wheel bearing?

Post by RedexRobB »

really easy, as hcir said pretty much. The bearing in the hub (sprocket carrier) is different to the two in the wheel tho, its not sealed. Should be able to get them no problem from any decent bearing suppier too and are about 3/4 quid each.

The sproket carrier bearing should knock through no problem at all, I think you can only see the inner part on removal but since your knocking it out it wont matter. The wheel bearings are a little more akward because there is an ally spacer between the two bearings, just use a long drift to get in the gap and once one bearing starts to move from home the spacer will move alot easier and allow you better access to remove the bearings. Just remember to put it back when you put new bearings in! And as hcir said, use a socket thats the same size to knock them home, dont use a socket on the inner part of the bearing just the outer.

All in all an easy job and probably only a few hours to do :)