How much am i looking at roughly....

Moderator: Moderators

tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Re: How much am i looking at roughly....

Post by tng21 »

i dont really wana mix tyres tbh, just i thought about having a gripier one on the front is she's paying for it lol. Maybe ill just put y money towards it like i thought i was going to and just get both 090's, not sure.

Whats the tread pattern like on the 090's? anything at all similar to the 014's?
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

cant rember to be honest

haveing only just started i dout very much dout you'll ever notice, and you always want better grip on your front tyers to your rear anyway
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I got a viper sport front and a BT14 rear on my 7R, no problems with that at all. There is a thing about mixing tyres that people dont like, not sure why, i guess different companies have different ideas on construction and is seen as a contributory factor to tank slappers perhaps?
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

i also think its alot to do tyer companys forceing the idea that you MUST change both tyers at the same time, other wise they only get the money for one new tyer insted of two
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

what are tank slappers?

might sound stupid question but i feel more stupid not knowing lol
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Its a woman who is willing to let you slip her one while she sits on ya bike :smt002

Nahh, its a waggling of the bars which can cause them to literaly slap the tank, if not the bars your arms and hands. this is a good example

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvVv_zbOjk
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

another example is too much power to the rear wheel and the bike starts to slip from side to side, or like me trying to stop from 140mph 20 feet from an island it don't work! hence the need for steering dampers!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

i normaly get them when doing 130+ round lanes and hit and bump basicly just upsets the front wheel and it starts skiping side to side, if you get a bad one can really scare the toad out of you

was talking to a bloke at the pub who broke 3 fingers when he get a really bad tank slapper
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by tng21 »

ahh i see now. Looks painful lol THink ill try the 090's on the front and see what happens

on another how much note, ive noticed my chain is rather loose and the fella i bought it off said it could do with being changed. Ive been told these can be quite expensive but unsure how expensive. So can anyone tell me roughly how much a new chain and sprockets are gonna costs me?
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

you can eaither A) do it very cheap and be ajusting your chain every few hundred miles or B) pay quite abit but everything last ages

I havea gold DID chain and unless someone can prove that somthing else is better i'll never use anything again, the chain has lasted over 3,000 miles (includeing 1 trackday) without needing ajusting once, and that includeing doing wheelys and pure abuse.

I've also got regina sprocket that seemed to have lasted well
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
Bozzie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bozzie »

i would more than recomend BT20s or 21s as they are now. great for milage and keep holding on. good in wet only had it silde twice and thats cus i gave it a handfull and on a twin 650 that torque was a lil much. But i read anotehr thing that they reckon for most people the sports touring tyres are as good as any. Don't forget these tyres are probably close to the same level of grip that the tyres were standard on the bike. are probably about as grippy.
mycallsevern
My Bike: ZXR400 L3 UK spec

Post by mycallsevern »

Also sports touring tyres warm up faster and stay hotter for longer meaning every time you slow down for a village or town you don't lose all the heat in your tyres.
Rubber side down, rubber side down, rubber side down.
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rene »

most sports road tyers hold there heat quite well really. If you stop then you do need a min or 2 to get them back to there best but genraly they work over a large area of heat
ZXR750 L1

BikePics page-
Ropey
My Bike: zxr400 L1

Post by Ropey »

check out this site, tis the cheepest i've found for my bike and car !
http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/start.html