What tyre pressures should I be running?

Moderator: Moderators

Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

What tyre pressures should I be running?

Post by Smousley1995 »

I bought my zxr a month ago (having previously owned one) with "only just scrubbed in" Bridgestone battlax bt-021 sports touring tyres. I have nearly done 2000 miles on it since owning it which has mainly been "spirited" riding and probably about 400 commuter miles. I can't push too hard on acceleration because Its 33bhp restricted but I like to get a move on with a few knee downs here and there but no extreme lean angle and I'm pretty harsh on the brakes.

My rear tyre has plenty of life in it and looks like its hardly worn at all however my front tyre has worn extremely quickly on the edges and after only 2000 mile has basically no tread left on the edges. The centre still has a fair bit if tread as do the very edges of the tyre but its the part in between the very edge and centre that's gone flat.

After looking online and getting a few people's opinions, I was running 30 in the front and 33 in the rear. Both tyres have offered ample grip but I'm wondering if the front was too low and caused the weight to be on the edges more or wether the tyre just wore quickly due to style of riding?

Also I am thinking about changing the front to a Bridgestone battlax bt-023 with the bt-021 rear still on. They both have a radial construction carcass and the 23 is what followed on from the 21 so they are very similar tyres. Do you think it will be ok to mix these tyres? The bt-023 has had very good reviews for both grip (wet and dry) and longevity so I'm set on having this now :P
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: What tyre pressures should I be running?

Post by ross46 »

I can't be bothered to reply to any of the rest of this, but what I will say is that you will get the best advice on here if you aren't lazy, I could send you a link saying what your tyre pressures should be, but I think your fingers can handle typing in 'bridgestone bt-021 tyre pressures' into google, and you'll find them
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Sorry about the previous post, was in a bad mood and shouldn't have taken it out on here, Bridgestone recommend 2.5 front 2.9 rear for the bt-021s that 36/42, but pressures can be changed depending on feel, I'll change mine depending on type of riding, mixing the tyres may be ok but its not advised, best bet would be to call Bridgestone as they will be the experts on it, but it may be better to pretend that you've just bought it with the 023/ 021 set up as them brand new to remove the selling point from them, and sorry again about the previous post, being stuck on the sofa after being taken to hospital is driving me insane as I can se my bike outside and can't ride it but that's not your fault
Smousley1995
My Bike: Zxr 400 L 1993

Post by Smousley1995 »

Haha don't worry, I know the feeling of not being able to ride but seeing your bike every 20 seconds :P I didn't want to check Bridgestone because that's universal for the tyres so they work on many different bikes but I thought I'd ask on here to see what suits the Zxr 400 :) thanks for your reply :D
Why take life so seriously, your not going to come out alive!
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

When I had 021's I ran 36 front 38 rear (ish) but different strokes for different folks. I'd start with 36/42 as said above and adjust as you feel necessary