Squeaky

Moderator: Moderators

psychopaulgtr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 03 Z1000

Squeaky

Post by psychopaulgtr »

there is a squeaking noise coming from the front wheel whether i brake or not. i had the pads changed and the calipers were also strip cleaned. the squeak had gone for a couple of days but now its back. what is it?
Warped discs?
wheel bearings?
Please help
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

more than likely a bit of salt or grit stuck between the disc and pad.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

Drop the wheel out grease it back up then start again and see if its gone

Could be tight calipers the pads just squeaking have you greased the pin the holds the pads in that might help the pads move on the top pin easyer worth a go takes a couple of minutes to drop the pads out

Good luck
psychopaulgtr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 03 Z1000

Post by psychopaulgtr »

I've checked the brakes, taken the wheel out replaced the bearings and cleaned every thing down. the squeaking is still there. so i took it to my local garage and they were baffled at first.

it turns out that the speedo drive is knackered from the winter spell and is the cause of the squeaking they cleaned ond oiled it but they said if the squeak comes back, the speedo drive needs replacing.

where can i get a speedo drive which works with a UK model mph clock
and how much

thanks
paul
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

The speedo drive from either an import or a UK bike will work. My ZXR is an import and i changed the speedo for a MPH one, works perfectly :D
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Xphyral »

heh, i had that problem a couple of weeks ago, i found out it was the speedo drive cuz my speedo stopped working when the squeek disappeared. i havent replaced mine yet though :)

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.