Pressures?

Moderator: Moderators

Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Pressures?

Post by Wabby »

Just noticed that my rear is going very thin in the centre, and I think I have realised why I have no confidence in these bloody tyres!

Just checked pressures (first time since tyres fitted) - 22PSI in front and 23 in rear :smt017

I take it this would cause excessive wear, but would this cause my lack of feel, and 'bad handling' that I have been experiencing with these Pirelli Diablos?
Mad Phil
My Bike: Hayabusa, Ducati 996SPS

Re: Pressures?

Post by Mad Phil »

How long ago were they fitted ??

Pressures should be checked at least once a week.........
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Wabby »

Mad Phil wrote:How long ago were they fitted ??

Pressures should be checked at least once a week.........
9 Months ago ....
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

shocking confuddled
its your only contact with the road. Dont skimp on them, and check em like said every week.
it is, or should be pretty obvious that they are gonna feel shite and go to ruin very quick when neglected and run over 10 psi to low
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Wabby »

What should I be running Front/Rear on the Pirelli Diablos (normal ones, not supercorsa)

Will slap another rear on her and give these tyres another chance, with correct pressures in them! lol
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

OK guys you've al missed something here.....................

The first post mentions the the "rear is going very thin in the centre" and that Wabby assumes that the low pressures cause excessive wear.

But what no one has noticed or understood is that excessive wear on the centre of a rear tyre is caused by a higher than recommended tyre pressure and that in fact it would be the edges of a tyre that wear in the case of an excessively low pressure in the tyre..................................strange indeed.

Now it's quite right that tyre pressure should be checked weekly...................tyres can lose pressure very slowly even through the carcass of the tyre it's self. And the weather can make a difference..........................I'll let you guys figure that one but I know I'm right.

I run my Priellies at 30 rear and 31 font................but those numbers are meaningless to everyone but me..................what they mean is that with MY guage MY bike feels good to me with those numbers on the pressure guage on cold tyres on a race day morning.

For road use.................I'd try what ever Mr Kawasaki reccomends in the manual............................and see how it feels................... think it's 36 rear and 32 front for solo use......................
Mad Phil
My Bike: Hayabusa, Ducati 996SPS

Post by Mad Phil »

Also going thin in the centre means you are going in a straight line far to much......

Find some bendy roads & wear the sides down as well.. biggrin
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Wabby »

Mad Phil wrote:Also going thin in the centre means you are going in a straight line far to much......

Find some bendy roads & wear the sides down as well.. biggrin
Thats the thing...

We only have bendy roads :smt017

And me left slider is scrapped the death ......
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

i think youll find you spend significantly longer upright than on the side of the tyre when riding.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

jeeeeezzz noone said you had to check em!!! confuddled
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
missinNZ1
My Bike: zxr400 L2 uk mod

Post by missinNZ1 »

Just checked pressures (first time since tyres fitted) - 22PSI in front and 23 in rear :smt017

these are the type of pressures that the latest race slicks run at not a road bike. at least the rear one anyways.