running problem

Moderator: Moderators

pieface_ie

running problem

Post by pieface_ie »

my ZXR400 racer has been actin up recently i was out on it tonight and noticed that it dosent sound normal, there are flat spots in low revs but once the revs build up she takes off,i also noticed light hazey smoke coming from the oil breather which i dont think is normal is it?and there was also a few drops of a lightish greeny substance dripping from it.
I have checked for dirty petrol,checked that the carbs are properly on and sealed and also checked that the air box is secure and tight.
Any one have any ideas?
The bike was grand recently but all of a sudden just started acting the mickey finn,would electrics have anything to do with it?
Cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Not sure what the smoke is all about from the oil breather, but the green fluid sounds like coolant. Whats the bike been running like temperature wise? Normally the only time green fluid pisses out (in my experience) is when its overheating!

Post by Guest »

the bike temprature is grand,its no where near the top.any other ideas about fixing it?or was around it?
Someone else also mentioned coolant so im sure your right,
cheers mate
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

isn't smoke coming out of your breather a sign of piston rings going?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

I'm pretty sure that smoke isn't a good thing. :|

Like Baz says, could be piston rings - my guess would be head gasket.

Usually on ZXR's it seems to blow the other way, so that it heats up and all the coolant pishes out, but there's no other signs of a blown gasket, i.e. loss of compression and water contaminating the oil.

If it's blowing coolant into the oil i guess it's more likely to result in power loss and the other classic head-gasket symptons?

Especially if it's blowing coolant aswell, but not overheating.

Your thermostat could also be knackered, so you just don't KNOW that it's overheating. I should think the oil would have to get pretty hot to be steaming through the breather?

All that's worst case scenario though - hopefully it's something as simple as your thermostat's dead and your carbs need balancing! :D
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja