Cam chain rattle after tensioner off

Moderator: Moderators

Smokingviper1
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr 400 L6

Cam chain rattle after tensioner off

Post by Smokingviper1 »

Took the tensioner off to replace o ring as was leaking oil, bike did not move when this was happening, put tension back on. Had to take off a couple of times due to wrong size o ring. Now when started there is a horrible rattle from engine mostly likely from cam chain... I have previously posted in FaceB bike group and was told I was an idiot for not checking timing first. This may be the case? And what can I do to fix... how to check its correct timing etc

Many thanks
ZXR 400 L5
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Cam chain rattle after tensioner off

Post by banner001 »

As long as you didn't spin the engine, or allow the chain to go too slack, it's unlikely to be timing.

If you check in the manual (freely available on the site), you can see how to check the timing, or look in the how to guide on this site.

Could be that you broke the tensioner when reassembling, could be that you didn't include the small rubber damper...need more diagnosis and pics really
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Smokingviper1

Post by Smokingviper1 »

As far as I can recall it wasn't turned over at all, can I check cam timing without removing engine? Looks like frame would be in the way. The chain teanior works fine, and is still plenty of life left in chain, and dampenr was in place..what would allow you to get better understanding? I have a video of the noise and pics of the engine st TDC with tensioner intact
ZXR 400 L5
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

You could lift the rocker cover off and use a mirror to check the timing marks on the camshafts.

Silly question but it’s not the infamous clutch basket rattle your hearing is it?

Timing doesn’t just magically change by its self so if you’re saying you haven’t adjusted it or moved the engine, I’d struggle to see how it’s that.
Smokingviper1

Post by Smokingviper1 »

Miles wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:57 pm
You could lift the rocker cover off and use a mirror to check the timing marks on the camshafts.

Silly question but it’s not the infamous clutch basket rattle your hearing is it?

Timing doesn’t just magically change by its self so if you’re saying you haven’t adjusted it or moved the engine, I’d struggle to see how it’s that.
Yer it has the basket noise too but it's a very Loud noticeable rattle type noise, I do have a video of it if I post it on here? Or YouTube and put link on here
ZXR 400 L5
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Youtube and link is your best bet
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Smokingviper1

Post by Smokingviper1 »

ZXR 400 L5
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

That sounds like top end. I had a similar noise years ago and it was a shim that For whatever reason was no longer where it was meant to be.
Found it stuck to the bottom of the cam cover!

personally I would lift the cam cover and check all the shims. Would also allow you to have a look at the timing as well.

Could also be slack in the cam chain, that wasn’t taken up by the tensioner after you changed the o ring