Transmission gears inspection

Moderator: Moderators

schnecks
My Bike: zxr400

Transmission gears inspection

Post by schnecks »

Hello there!

I have started my bike project and struggle a bit with inspecting of the gearbox. I have already split the case and wanted to measure every gear for wear. I have noticed a few wiggling gears (on my main Gearbox and my spear one has it as well) Unfortunately I didn't find anything regarding this in my service manual.

Gearbox did ok last time I have used it,but what do you guys think. Should I keep using it or search for a replacement?

https://youtu.be/JosVQ9skKuE

https://youtu.be/lfTDsI44XBQ
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Transmission gears inspection

Post by banner001 »

Can't say for sure but I'm sure that there is supposed to be a bit of slop on the gears to aidin movement and location of the dogs.

Once the gears are together they will be fairy locked into place.

Have you tried putting the gears back in without the shifter forks and seeing if you can still wiggle them like this... If you can then they might need changing.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Transmission gears inspection

Post by Ewetea »

Hi. I have a spare set of gears, taken from a running bike. The two gears that you wobble in the video do exactly the same on my assembly. There is even noticeable sideways movement. But as mentioned in the previous post, once everything is in place in the gearbox, and trapped by the selector forks, the system should be OK. Wear is inevitable, and since these bikes are at least 20 years old this sort of play should be expected. The gears do run on bushes, so I presume that the wear is associated with them, but whether new bushes could still be sourced is debatable.