Throttle snap back

Moderator: Moderators

Si81
My Bike: Zxr 400 2000

Throttle snap back

Post by Si81 »

So my zxr is my first ever road bike. I've only ever ridden/raced motocross bikes. Generally i'm used to a very very light snappy throttle action, whereby I could comfortably twist the throttle with my thumb and forefinger easily and it would snap back closed.

When i picked up my zxr my first feeling was that the throttle action was quite tough and jot snappy. It returns fine but it's definitely a heavy throttle so thought it might need new cable, lubricating etc but as i've never had a road bike before I have no idea what is or isn't normal. So how smooth and light should the throttle actually be?
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: Throttle snap back

Post by bendog66 »

Make sure your grips aren't catching on the edge of the bar, or it may just need the throttle tube taking off and cleaning. I'd try the easy (and free) things first
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Throttle snap back

Post by Miles »

Had a sluggish throttle on mine.

Strip it to bits, clean everything. Check that your grips arent rubbing on the controls ie catching. Seen this on heated grips cause their thicker so they rub against the controls.

I then checked the throttle cable routing and dripped some oil down the cable. Working it back and forth until the clean oil was coming out the other end. Wiping the gunk that came out with a cloth.

Finally, and what made the biggest difference for me, I cleaned the spring mechanism on the side of the carb. Opening and closing it whilst spraying wd-40/brake cleaner/carb cleaner into it and again cleaning the gunk that came out.

Check your return cable as well