tapping

Moderator: Moderators

zEddxr400
My Bike: zxr400 l9

tapping

Post by zEddxr400 »

Hi, I'm Edd. This is my first post as you wonderful lot have normally already answered any questions I have :)
I'm having a tapping noise crisis on my zxr 400 l9 and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on its source.
There is a constant loud tapping over the engine noise which increases in tempo when rev'd. Now I'd have thought that I'd be able to hear the tapping through the engine casing with a screw driver against the block and the other end against my ear but it doesn't resonate through at all wherever I put it. All I can hear is the movement of the internals.
It's driving me nuts, my brain is tuned to the tapping so now that's all I hear!
Any ideas? Anyone?
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: tapping

Post by Miles »

If it gets worse or faster as you increase the revs I would be looking at shims
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

tapping

Post by JamieNeve »

Either valve shims need adjusting, cam chain needs replacing, or your copper exhaust gaskets may not be sealing properly, causing them to rattle around, and sound like an engine tap.

I had the same issue, thought it was the engine and couldn't be exhaust gaskets, but it was solved as soon as I replaced them. I would start by replacing them, they are under £5 on eBay, and easy to replace. Just remove the top bolts of your radiator so you can angle it forwards, remove downpipe bolts, replace gaskets and put it back together! 15 minute job and it may sort you out!

If this doesn't work, remove your pulsing cover (right side of engine), and check that your cam chain adjuster still has plenty of room to compensate for stretch.

Finally, if all else fails, get a set of feeler gauges between the valve shims and cams, and use the manual to check they are all within spec!

Good luck
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

...and if all that comes back normal check that you haven't lunched on of your rocker arms, to do that you will need to remove the cam covers, remove the ca shafts then you can get access to the rockers.

The rockers lead to a ting.ting.ting sound, it's quite high pitched.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
zEddxr400
My Bike: zxr400 l9

Post by zEddxr400 »

Thankyou for the replies. I hadn't considered exhaust gaskets but I do have some new ones I can fit. I did check the shims, turned out they were all the same - 2.75. 6 needed changing so that was done and still the tapping continued.
I like the exhaust gasket idea, it's too late to run the engine now but provided I can do it without the wife noticing I'm in the garage again il try tomorrow.
I did notice before though that the plates which clamp the exhaust flanges in the head had a slight curve to them. Not sure if that would affect the fit.
Took it out today and the noise is very frustrating, seems to have no affect on anything else. though I'm certainly no expert
TurkishJordo
My Bike: ZXR 400, L1, UK Model

Post by TurkishJordo »

It's not the famous clutch rattle is it? :smt020
My tensioner is only half way up, but my chain still sounds like it's rattling, I just put up with it - although my clutch rattle did dissappear after an oil change :smt017

ZXRs (and all Kawasakis for that matter) are notoriously rattly, I think they build them like it on purpose winks