Tell me they all sound like this...

Moderator: Moderators

jons
My Bike: ZXR400

Tell me they all sound like this...

Post by jons »

This is the first firing up after cobbling together bits from 2 bikes. The good news is that it started and ticks over well, the joy lasted a few seconds waiting for the oil to circulate and stop the horrible noise, followed by the despair of realising that it wouldn't.

I've done the valve clearances and the cam chain seems to be fine. What I want is for someone to say "that's fine, they all sound like that", but failing that what should I do next? Compression test I guess.

http://youtu.be/umWsIgsujgs
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Tell me they all sound like this...

Post by RedexRobB »

Cant view thevid. Its set to private
jons

Post by jons »

RedexRobB wrote:Cant view thevid. Its set to private
Should be public now, but I've narrowed it down to no 2 cylinder not firing. It's sparking OK so waiting for a mate to drop a compression tester round.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

I had this exact noise on mine after a rebuild, turned out a shim had 'popped' out found it stuck to the rocker cover, put it back in and all was well
jons

Post by jons »

Miles wrote:I had this exact noise on mine after a rebuild, turned out a shim had 'popped' out found it stuck to the rocker cover, put it back in and all was well
Thanks, I'll check that next if the compression is Ok. It does sound valve related so hopefully it's something this simple.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Double check your compression readings as well. With my gunson tester it told me my compression was low after a rebuild and couldn't work out why. Turned out the gunson testers don't seat fully in zxr sparkplug threads