Starter clunking and not engaging

Moderator: Moderators

lozza
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Starter clunking and not engaging

Post by lozza »

When trying to start my bike 9 times out of 10, I get a clunking and grinding noise coming from the starter motor, followed by the sound of the starter spinning (engine not turning).

every few attempts though, something seems to catch and it will turn the engine over (enough to start it), although it sounds really clunky when it does and if it needs a lot of cranking to start (i have carb problems) it clunks out of contact after a few revs and starts clunking and spinning again.

Battery is fully charged, charging system ok, relay ok and the noise is definitely coming from the engine.

I've replaced the starter motor, and get the same problem. It used to not occur so frequently but now it happens almost every time.

I've just taken of the alternator cover and the starter gears seem to be fine, no wear, no teeth missing.

Possible this could be a problem with the starter clutch, im not 100% on how it works? or anything else?

thanks.
ZX4R-F3
My Bike: 1988 ZX400-F3

Re: Starter clunking and not engaging

Post by ZX4R-F3 »

[b][color=#FF0000]If your not living on the edge, then your taking up to much room.[/color][/b]
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

hi lozza, this bike runs a "sprag clutch" for the starter that allows it to provide "drive" in one direction, but not the other (i.e. if you turn it one way it locks solid and provides drive, if it turns the other way it just spins freely)

i did a diagram for a different forum, it uses springs and rollers, it is possible to take it out of the engine and inspect the rollers for wear, the sprag clutches can be fiddly to take apart mind you.
3rd post down - http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewto ... c&start=30
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
lozza

Post by lozza »

So it's possible that the clutch is my problem? just wanted to make sure it was worth the effort as I have no idea how to remove the flywheel without forking out thousands for kawasaki tools.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

it could be, as there is a limited amount of things connected to the starter motor its fairly easy to eliminate them.

you've bought a new starter, you can test the amps its drawing to make sure its ok and eliminate this as the cause (its the cause in 99% of times), as long as the gearing to the sprag clutch is sound - no wear/damage to the teeth, everything interlocking properly, then it can only be damage to the sprag clutch, or damage to the crankshaft, as once your bike turns over it sounds absolutely fine.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

FYI i need to check if the H and L sprag clutches are the same (look to be), but the whole assembly is £71 brand new...not a bad price, but i would be tempted to ask a kawasaki garage to do it for you, they will already have the necessary pullers.

if you remove the side panel, tie-back any cables/pipes, give them clear access to the generator cover, it shouldnt cost you that much in labour.
lozza

Post by lozza »

Cheers banner, I'm gonna have to ask you how to test this motor though as the manual doesn't seem to cover it?