timing.......veryconfused

Moderator: Moderators

ninjadave1400
My Bike: zxr400

timing.......veryconfused

Post by ninjadave1400 »

hi guys ive been running some tests as im trying to avoid pulling the head im going to have to as my compression is low and my valve clearances although to tight,dont explain why my compression is from no.4 at 150psi down to no.2 at 95psi any why my question is this, the manual says to use the t marks in the crank as number 1 and 4 at tdc how ever when timing the engine it says both should be at tdc and now im very confused about timing it up when i rebuild.

i posted the question in my build thread as well so if people read it back they will see the issues i hit.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: timing.......veryconfused

Post by cargo »

When timing the camshafts for rebuilding.................1 and 4 cylinders are at TDC................as per the timing mark...............see the manual for picture

a cylinder reaches TDC twice per cycle..............once on compression and again on exhaust
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

You need your valve clearances to be within spec to get pressure readings to compare with service limits.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
ninjadave1400
My Bike: zxr400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

Valve clearance I have re checked now I understand the cycle I got mixed up all are within tolerance so I will press ahead and pull the head.