Head gasket?

Moderator: Moderators

akuakabucy
My Bike: 1992 ZXR400

Head gasket?

Post by akuakabucy »

Hi guys. Just bought a zxr 400. It's a 1992 with 35000 on the clock. It didn't run wen I got it but after fresh fuel, bit of tinkering she now she purrs like a baby. My problem is the oil is like milk. I changed it warmed up to temp, dropped it out and changed again but now creamy again. When I first dropped the oil lots of water came or before the milky oil. The bike itself performs spot on and doesn't overheat I suspect head gasket and done a bit of research but any second opinions would be much appreciated before I rip her to pieces and get the engine out. Cheers guys.
jameswilco1
My Bike: zxr

Re: Head gasket?

Post by jameswilco1 »

It must be pretty bad if water came out first before oil for it to be a headgasket, or its been like that for a while. The only time ive had something that bad is a gsxr 600 track bike I had bought before. It had stood all winter with just water in, no antifreeze at all. The guy who i bought it off didnt think to drop it out. And that had frozen and popped a core plug out of the head. So water just poured into the crankcase
ZXR 400 track bike project, Ducati 916, Yamaha WR 400, 2x Honda CB400F, VFR 400 nc30
akuakabucy

Post by akuakabucy »

I only bought it the weekend. The guy said it had been stood for 3 months unused then wouldn't start. However Im thinking hes known it has had HGF and decided to get rid, although I could be wrong. I only paid £500 so was willing to take a gamble on it and still have no regrets. Im handy with a spanner or two so quite looking forward to taking the engine out and getting the little beauty nice and reliable. Although if I don't have too then id rather not haha.
jameswilco1
My Bike: zxr

Post by jameswilco1 »

The motors are easy enough to whip out anyway. When you fill the rad up with coolant does it fill to the top of the filler neck and stay there or does it go down?

You could always do a leak test as well to see which cylinder seems to be causing the problem and if it is headgasket before you pull the motor
ZXR 400 track bike project, Ducati 916, Yamaha WR 400, 2x Honda CB400F, VFR 400 nc30
akuakabucy

Post by akuakabucy »

I filled it to the top but did seem to drop slightly. There was no coolant in the expansion bottle when I got it so probably is HGF with all the symptoms. Ill get hold a compression tester and see what the readings are and post up. It also steams like a kettle when its running. I don't really want to run it if I don't have to as the diluted oil cant be doing the engine any good.