Head Gasket?

Moderator: Moderators

JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Head Gasket?

Post by JamieNeve »

Have written a post previously about a plume of smoke or maybe steam coming out a few seconds after I stop my engine.

My bike is now showing many blown head gasket signs- Rad empty but expansion bottle full, white gunk behind clutch cover, line of oil under bike when I go to it every morning.

So I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket gone, but do you reckon that the smoke/steam is from the blown head gasket? I'm thinking it may be the coolant that's getting into the cylinder due to the gasket being gone, evaporating after I stop due to the heat, but not sure whether this is plausible or not, what do you think?

Thanks!
noodleface

Re: Head Gasket?

Post by noodleface »

if you think HG, get it replaced, cheap part £25, either do it yourself, or remove the engine and take it to a garage.

-nf
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

If your head gasket is gone and coolant is getting into the cylinder most of it is evaporating out the exhaust.

Certainly does appear to be a blown gasket..................a compression test may help give you guidance.

If it was my engine I'd have it out ASAP continuing to ride it even if you do top up the coolant will only do more damage.

On a brighter note you may just have a leak somewhere..........................hole in the rad ? or hose ?......................the really clever thing to do is get a really good close look at whats going on
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Yeah! Thanks for the reply guys! When I search for where it's coming from it looks like from behind the exhaust manifold/around the head gasket so it must be that. that's what confuses me the fact that the smoke is coming from the actually engine block and not the exhaust!I just replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets 5 days ago so can't be them!

Will get the new head gasket replaced ASAP and see where that leaves me!
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Yeah! Thanks for the reply guys! When I search for where it's coming from it looks like from behind the exhaust manifold/around the head gasket so it must be that. that's what confuses me the fact that the smoke is coming from the actually engine block and not the exhaust!I just replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets 5 days ago so can't be them!

Will get the new head gasket replaced ASAP and see where that leaves me!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I think I'll go boil my head now

Goodbye
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

see ya!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

I think that may have been a response to "just replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets 5 days ago so can't be them", but I may be wrong, if you've just replaced them then I would definitely check them. When my head gasket went it blew from the water jacket out, when I stopped after a hard ride I could hear hissing as the water was hitting the exhaust
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

Yeah I think that's what's happening to me as when I just looked through the fairing when it started steaming, seemed to be coming form the downpipes.

This issue happened way before I replaced the exhaust gaskets, hence why I replaced them and ruled that out.

Thanks Ross mate :)
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I would still replace it sharpish as chances are your running the engine without the coolant fully round the cylinders
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

ross46 wrote:I think that may have been a response to "just replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets 5 days ago so can't be them", but I may be wrong, if you've just replaced them then I would definitely check them. When my head gasket went it blew from the water jacket out, when I stopped after a hard ride I could hear hissing as the water was hitting the exhaust

Your right..........................once again we are asked a question and the full story is kept hidden.............................. :smt018
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

I did not keep it hidden, I assumed it was not important as the problem was occurring before and after I did the exhaust gaskets, therefore it must not have been them sp there was no point in mentioning it.
JamieNeve

Post by JamieNeve »

I did not keep it hidden, I assumed it was not important as the problem was occurring before and after I did the exhaust gaskets, therefore it must not have been them sp there was no point in mentioning it.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

mention everything! even the small things can make a difference
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

If you have that much confidence in your assumptions.........why do you not have confidence in your diagnosis of the problem ?

Every bit of information potentially useful.

I always remember the guy who changed his clutch cable........................but failed to mention it when he asked about a camchain rattle. He saw no connection.

Turned out he had removed the camchain tensioner in his effort to replace the clutch cable :wanker he broke it on refitting :smt018 and still couldn't connect the camchain noise with his clutch replacement...................... :wanker :wanker