Struggling to get neutral

Moderator: Moderators

Impman71
My Bike: Neither of them ;-)

Struggling to get neutral

Post by Impman71 »

Hi,

The only way I can get neutral is by carefully coming down from second & even this is getting harder.

It refuses to go in from 1st at all!

It makes no difference if the engine is not running, so I am guessing it isn't clutch - possibly a bent selector?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Struggling to get neutral

Post by RedexRobB »

Chain correctly adjusted?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

You looked very silly with an engine on the bench in pieces looking for a bent selector fork only to find a problem with the gear lever linkage

Whatever the problem start by looking at the easy stuff first oldman
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

incorectly adjusted clutch cable where the cable goes into the clutch housing?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Impman71

Post by Impman71 »

I have had the bike about 18 months now and it never has gone into neutral from 1st.

The clutch biting point feels okay - I have adjusted it up further, but it made no difference. Perhaps I need to adjust it up further?

The fact it wont go in when it isn't running makes me question whether it is the clutch though.
Impman71

Post by Impman71 »

There isn't any apparent wear in the gear change linkage, if it selects all the other gears should it not be okay?
I would be much happier if it is something simple & I don't have to take the engine out again :smt001
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Impman71 wrote:There isn't any apparent wear in the gear change linkage, if it selects all the other gears should it not be okay?
I would be much happier if it is something simple & I don't have to take the engine out again :smt001

And therein lies the clue............................engine out again....................

Would you care to explain ?

A neighbour once took in a bike that wouldn't select first gear........................he was busy preparing to drop the engine out and came to ask a favour of me. Off I went to his garage and found the the pivot point on the gear lever was not moving correctly due to road muck and corrosion gear lever off bit of a clean rub with emery cloth smear of grease and hey presto perfect gear change.
saved the owner a big bill and saved the neighbour a stack of work
Impman71

Post by Impman71 »

I just like taking the engine out :tease
No, not really!
The head gasket went on it last last summer, after I had done about 400 miles from getting it.
It had stood for about 5 years with an electrical problem.
I cleverly managed to get the front cam chain guide in upside down & after 400 miles the rear one snapped - didn't actually have to take the engine out to sort this, but was very lucky no major damage was caused.
I bought the bike off a mate of mine and he paid a lot of money (around a grand) to someone to work on the gear box after the chain snapped, jammed and did major damage to it.
I will take a proper look at the linkage at the week end in daylight.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

So let me get this straight.

You bought a bike which the previous owner had a gearbox issue with he says he spent £1000 on getting it fixed and from the day you bought it 18 months ago it's had a gearbox problem.
Impman71

Post by Impman71 »

That is correct, I would like to point out that I only paid £200 for it and the electrical problem was an easy fix-it was used for one year after the gearbox was "repaired" and then developed the electrical fault.
He lost interest with it and I got a bargain!
I feel he was ripped off and this was one of his reasons for losing interest.
As stated, it changes gear fine - just neutral is nigh on impossible to find and this is getting worse.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I'm wondering if the gearbox problem was there in that year when he was riding it............anyway

Like I've already said check all the external stuff first. Especially the pivot on the gear lever. and look inside the gearbox sprocket cover could be something stuck in there jamming against the gear change shaft..................once you are completely satisfied it is NOT an external problem then have a look at the mechanism in behind the clutch where the gear change drum is turned there's springs and an indent wheel thingy inspect them and see if the problem lies there......................after that it's engine out time.

Remember check that which is easy to check first and be 100% happy before looking for bigger internal problems.
IMHO ZXR gearboxes are damn good. I've never had a gearbox issue in 13 years of racing them
Impman71

Post by Impman71 »

Thanks Cargo,
Hopefully will get a chance to look at the weekend and will do as you suggest, regarding the linkages etc.
Will let you know how I get on.
Impman71

Post by Impman71 »

Finally had time at the weekend to take a quick look.

The gear change linkage is all free, it is however apparent that the clutch is dragging.

I have no more adjustment left at either end of the cable, so I am guessing it has stretched, or I have over tightened it - but I would expect it to slip if this were the case and it isn't?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

How did you check the clutch was dragging, didn't you notice when the bike was creeping forward? Anyway, the clutch won't neccesarily slip if its dragging, sometimes they will in the end, I had a few problems with mine, someone had put a rubber boot over the lever adjuster so didn't see that it kept being pulled in as the clutch was engaged as the threads had slipped, get a new cable, I say its good to do it anyway as it makes it so much smoother, try a new cable, adjust it properly, and check and lube all the external stuff as cargo said
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

If i remember correctly..... and i think it do..... and i havent read the whole thread just the first few posts.....

You cant get into neutral unless you are going <10mph.
This is a safety feature that prevents false/unwanted neutrals when going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::