Moderator: Moderators

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Cam wear

Post by Vaughn »

Ok so I've just lifted the inlet cam and on cylinder 1 there is a lot of wear
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379158241.275655.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379158267.120923.jpg
What are my options, I'm pulling out my hair now.
Guessing I should start looking for a new head and cams :-(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Cam wear

Post by banner001 »

you "can" have it welded and re-ground...but thats a lot of damage, i think a complete head and cams is the way forward unfortunatly...

at this rate i would be looking at having words with the dealer who sold it to you...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

banner001 wrote:you "can" have it welded and re-ground...but thats a lot of damage, i think a complete head and cams is the way forward unfortunatly...

at this rate i would be looking at having words with the dealer who sold it to you...
I think your right mate, this bikes been nothing but trouble and was sold to me in an unsafe state.
On the other hand I do like the bike and want to get her going again, might take the head off and see what condition it's all in before I make any decisions.

I've been reading about it being possible to repair cylinder heads and cams but can't find anyone nearby that can do it. I asked in the local bike tuning place and they didn't have a clue either

I think it should be repairable just got to find the right people
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

you could always give kent cams a shout, they make them, and they have the kit to do re-profiling, they might be able to/might know someone who can repair yours...the cost of a new engine is ~£300-400, if you can find a cylinder head complete and in good condition you might be able to get one for ~£200-250 so see what kent suggest is a reasonable price for the repair (if they do it) and then look at your options.

is it just the one cam journal, or are all of them just as bad?

if its just one you will need to check that all your oil feedways are clear and free of blockages, if its all of them then its probably infrequent oil changes, or damage from oil starvation
Vaughn

Cam wear

Post by Vaughn »

It's just one cam journal that's damaged the rest are all silky smooth. It looks like maybe some metal has got in there in ripped it to bits, probably caused it to jump a tooth as well.

I rang the engineering company and they said there's probably not a lot they can do.
I have however found a complete engine for £200 and it's very local so hopefully he will get in contact soon and I'll go take a look
Then it's the decision of do I just replace the head or the whole engine, do I send the new engine in for reconditioning, decisions decisions
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

banner001 wrote:you "can" have it welded and re-ground...
Im very interested....who does this repair as ive never found anyone.Could you post the engineering company that provides this sevice.
Thanks
R.Middleton
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

they will do crankshafts, im pretty sure they can do cams too

http://www.coventryboring.co.uk/#/at-th ... 4537729699
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

The main problem with 'Vaughn's' engine repair is the worn bearing surface in the head. Cams are as 'cheap as chips' and certainly not worth the cost of a 'journal repair' .
R.Middleton
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

rmkd177 wrote:The main problem with 'Vaughn's' engine repair is the worn bearing surface in the head. Cams are as 'cheap as chips' and certainly not worth the cost of a 'journal repair' .
That's the trouble I'm now finding out although the cams I've seen haven't been that cheap, seems my best option is to buy an engine or just the head and cams.
I've messaged someone about an engine for £200 locally but he hasn't got back to me. I've been twitching all day, just want him to message back then I can go have a look,
I think this is meant to be though, I mean what are the odds of someone having a zxr engine for sale in the same town.
Only other trouble is it's off a track bike so it might be no better than what I've got,
god damn you kawasaki why are your parts so expensive, would much rather buy brand new

I was thinking that if you bought a bike brand new for let's say £6000 then went about buying every part from the dealer to make an exact replica of the one you bought, by the time you had all the bits it would be more like £12000 spent.
Surely it should be the other way round, I would buy a brand new bike that came in kit form if it was half the price of the one in the showroom.
I think these dealers need to re strategise
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

What a result, just been and seen a chap about a zxr engine on eBay for £200
Managed to clear out his garage of zxr bits for £500 gonna pick it all up this weekend.
The engine seems in good condition although it's from a race bike so not sure whether to drop the whole engine in or just the head, it hasn't been started in 6 months either but it turns over nicely with a rachet.
Exhaust studs have all been removed so I can put my stainless studs straight in, although one hole looks like it's been drilled out and might need re taping
There's loads of stuff now included with the deal it's all off an L model though not sure what year, mines H but most of it should come in handy
Engine comes with the cdi as well
Frame
Wheels
Swingarm
Some fairings
Full exhaust system with scorpion can
Carbs
Yokes
I can't even remember what else, should have took a picture
Got a good deal though so I'm well happy

Anyone know how I can test an engine before I fit it to the bike?? I guess I could connect the starter motor to a battery and see how well she turns over, could do with a compression tester, mines crap it was cheap and nasty off eBay.
Then check clearances and remove all covers inspecting clutch and things and replace with the gaskets I got from Ross.
I guess I could shine a torch down the spark plug holes an inspect pistons. When you look into the rubbers where the carbs sit it's immaculate in there, the metal looks new, even the exhaust side looks quite clean.
Don't know what else I could do apart from that, any ideas??
Oh I'm so happy now nothing can bring me down, just got to search around now and figure out what bits will fit and what bits won't
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Well to me you've got two options, drop in whole new (though unknown) engine, or just do the head and take the other engine apart and check/refurbish it all then swap out again, dropping an engine isn't difficult, I would be inclined to go with option two if you've got the time, means you can check all of the valves, cams etc, know the new top end is right then see what the bottom end is like on the new engine
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:Well to me you've got two options, drop in whole new (though unknown) engine, or just do the head and take the other engine apart and check/refurbish it all then swap out again, dropping an engine isn't difficult, I would be inclined to go with option two if you've got the time, means you can check all of the valves, cams etc, know the new top end is right then see what the bottom end is like on the new engine
Yeah know what your saying, think what I might do is give the new engine a good check over and make sure all is ok, then just go for it and fit the engine.
After a week of riding if all is well and there's no dodgy noises I'll go about stripping down the old engine and rebuild it up to the cylinder,
When that job is done I will take the engine back out and get some head work done then refit the head to the refurbished engine.
That's the only way I'm gonna get it on the road before all the crap weather gets here, well it has already but it's only gonna get worse and I just wanna ride it, getting bored of the rs125, fed up with having to plan my journeys having to avoid roads where I have to pull out into fast moving traffic, it's got no guts when pulling off it's embarrassing, people think it's a big bike by the way it looks and they are surprised when I tell them it's a 125 lol

At least that way when I'm finished I will still have the original engine in the bike as well