Engine Replacement help

Moderator: Moderators

Ravendarkar
My Bike: zxr400

Engine Replacement help

Post by Ravendarkar »

I have a zxr400 import, Frame number zx400L-002197 and engine number ZX400GE-021230.. I need to replace the engine but am unsure on the model.
Help please
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: Engine Replacement help

Post by bendog66 »

Any ZXR400 engine will fit
packiepa
My Bike: ZXR 400

Post by packiepa »

Hello, so I own a 1989 zxr 400 h, and the engine is no good, I know where I can get a good engine from a 1995 zxr 400 L,
Are you saying that if I were to purchase this engine it would bolt up the same, and run perfect with the h model cdi box and wiring loom?
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

packiepa wrote:Hello, so I own a 1989 zxr 400 h, and the engine is no good, I know where I can get a good engine from a 1995 zxr 400 L,
Are you saying that if I were to purchase this engine it would bolt up the same, and run perfect with the h model cdi box and wiring loom?
You need to change coolant hose direction on rear of engine.

You need to change the pulsar/rotor from your H motor onto the L motor

It will then run perfect.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
packiepa

Post by packiepa »

Ok, what is the pulsar thing, I have been goggling but cant find any info or pics
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

The pulsar is behind the cover on the right hand side of your engine. Its what sends the signal to your cdi about the rotations of the crank.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
packiepa

Post by packiepa »

Just wondering if a zzr engine will slot straight into my zxr 400 h aswell? The engine is zx400 aswell.. Like if it does, is it a case of just swapping out the things stated?
packiepa

Post by packiepa »

Ok, picked up a good engine from a 96 l model today.. I am going to tackle the pulsar rotor in morning, ... I have already switched the coolant hose direction.. Engine is nice and clean on out side, but when looking into the valves with a flash light der seems to be a lot of carbon build up.. Should I spray something un there to loosen it up and clean or is it ok?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

do the valve clearances, new plugs, check the coil resistances, check the camchain and drop the oil/coolant and go for a ride, to properly do the head your gonna have to drop and strip the top end of the engine.
packiepa

Post by packiepa »

There seems to be an extra wire plug on the l model engine, I cant seem to find any where on my bike to plug into.. it has 2 wires,
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

where is the wire coming from?

there will be the alternator wires LHS coming from the gasket, oil and neutral comes up the LHS of the engine, the timing wires come from the RHS of the engine, and the water temperature is a single wire from the back of the engine.
packiepa

Post by packiepa »

Ok, I got everything wired up correct and bike is turning over and starting, I have a problem now dough, where the radiator hose goes on the back of head, I switched the direction as advised, but I just noticed when I am pouring the coolant in it is leaking out of a little nipple just below this.. there was no nipple on my old engine and there doesn't seem to be anything I can attach to it, so what do I do? I will have to take out radiator to get at it again. Do I just block it of with a stud or something :smt017
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

Without a photo I can't say for certain, but it sounds as though you have a water feed adaptor for heating the carburettors. A pipe from the adaptor would run to each carb in turn, and then return to another adaptor near the water pump. All you need to do is remove the adaptor and fit a blanking screw. The adaptor should have a washer to seal it to the barrel - use that on the screw.
packiepa

Post by packiepa »

Ok the bike is up and running, everything is great until I come back from a long spin, I do notice whilst driving sometimes that the bike tends to run a bit ruff as well.. The carbs are balanced, and I stripped them and cleaned them while off.. the bike ticks over fine when just started and from cold, but after a long hard spin the bike tens to cut out sometimes and sounds ruff.. Am I wright in thinking the valve clearance's might need to be done? Also when I driving hard the rev counter goes past the red line, is this due to the l engine redline 13000rpm vs h engine12500rpm being in my bike? I thought the cdi would have control of the revs?
I blanked that nipple with a screw.