Head gasket change?

Moderator: Moderators

Symon94
My Bike: Zxr 400

Head gasket change?

Post by Symon94 »

Just wondering if anyone has done a hg change with the engine still in place? I've currently just moved so have no one to help, and I don't have a jack or anything to hold te engine. An can anyone give a rough time on how long it will take?
Im not a complete noob but not a pro ethier. Cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Head gasket change?

Post by RedexRobB »

Think you will find its an engine out job. Im sure people have doe it with the motor in but you end up undoing all but one engine bolt, by which point you may as well take the motor out.
CrazyChris
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX400G

Post by CrazyChris »

I think the ZXR and the ZX400G is about the same, in which case I would say its definitely an engine out job or at least tilt the engine all the way to the ground for cam timing purposes alone. So I agree with RobB by saying if you going to tilt it to the ground you might just as well take it out completely. The engine is light enough to pick up by yourself (I had to do it as well) so you can pick it up and ask the missus to put the bolts in for you if need be.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

I managed to do my head gasket with the engine in place, the most awkward bit was getting the rocker cover off, I found it easiest to remove the radiator as that gives you more room to move bits forward to get the angle to take it out