Zxr 400 timing/running issue

Moderator: Moderators

d1throttle
My Bike: zxr 400 & Grom msx

Zxr 400 timing/running issue

Post by d1throttle »

:ffs

Hey guys, I’m a bit stuck. So I’ve rebuilt my engine and replaced the pistons and chain, and this was after it overheated last year. The oil pressure turned on while I rode it and it just died on me and hasn’t ran since. When I’ve finished the rebuild I found that it only is running on 2/3 cylinders because it sounds more like a Ducati than my ZXR.

I’ve done timing ‘correctly’ however the timing plate (where is says TDC) has play so I’ve tried to do timing to different positions while trying to get it running. What should I do?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Zxr 400 timing/running issue

Post by banner001 »

How is the compression, checked you get fuel, cleaned and ultrasonicated the carbs, checked for spark?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
d1throttle

Post by d1throttle »

So just an update. I’ve done all of the above, I bought a new timing plate/Ignition plate that goes on the crank, and the bike runs, I’ve cleaned the carbs thoroughly, I haven’t ultrasonicated the carbs but I stripped them down to the Tans made sure they were clean and I’ve use a Carb tuner to balance the carbs.

…..However….The bike is fluctuating between revs when it’s running so around 1.5k to 2.2k and it’ll rev hang if I accelerate sometimes. I’ve checked the rubbers between the engine and carbs and they seem fine too. I am very very stuck…
d1throttle

Post by d1throttle »

^^^
To add to that it drops power when I accelerate hard and sometimes it even dies..