Overheating!

Moderator: Moderators

Sammy-jo68

Overheating!

Post by Sammy-jo68 »

Hi Everyone!

I have a ZXR400 1992 L model

I'm a novice to all things technical so hope someone can help! :smt003

With the nice weather one day last week i wanted to take my bike out so i left it ticking over to warm up for about 15mins thats when i noticed it was overheating.. i did not go out on it to see if it would cool down as i wanted to check thats its okay and simply due to the bike not being in motion and getting no airflow to cool it down.

the temp gauge showed it was inbetween the middle line and the red (hope that makes sense) but still above where it should be.

I have checked the water and the oil seems fine.

Can anyone advise?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Overheating!

Post by RedexRobB »

Shouldnt really let it idle for as long as that, i used to let mine run till it was out of the blue box at the bottom. Usual operating temperature is about quarter to half way up the gauge, it will usually go higher than that if in traffic.

But for it to sit there and idle it will go as high as it likes until the fan kicks in which i think is roughly 3 quarters up the gauge.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

did you have it on the sidestand for all that time?
Sammy-jo68

Post by Sammy-jo68 »

No wasnt on the side stand i was actually on the bike chatting to a friend the whole time thats why it was idling for so long..

so its nothing for me to worry about.. just dont let it tick over for that long?
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

shouldnt idle for that long, wont do massive harm but if done for extended periods you can glaze the bores etcetc. not too much of an issue on a zxr that revs to 14900rpm though.
Sammy-jo68

Post by Sammy-jo68 »

Okay thanks for your help.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

Blimey! an engine idling for 15min! Did the fan kick in at all? The fan should of been on at that temperature! If I remember rightly, the fan kicks in just over half. When I plan on going out on me bike, first thing I do is fire her up and then get my leathers on. By the time you've got your condom on, the bike is nice and warm ready to ride away!

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

I've found a cure for my fan problem.

I just ride a bit faster.
Vard.
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Wabby »

I'm agree witgh the guy above.

Myn sits around mid way at all times - Unless in traffic, where it creeps upwards.

Best way to keep it down is to ride faster! :smt003
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

I've been having some symptoms of over heating aswell. My carbs are all set up up so it can't be a weak mixture. The water was flushed and re-topped back up. Basically I only have to get to work which is what... 3 miles away? and the bike is like half way on the gauge. I've noticed that this new engine I've fitted seems to warm up pretty dam quick. I only have to get to the end of my road and the needle is out of the blue. It's not the head gasket because the water doesn't boil and over spill etc... Could it be a dodgey/sticky thermostat? Or a naffed water pump?

Regards

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

could be just a n airlock in the coolant system, have you checked the level recently?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

MillaMeter wrote:Hi,

I've been having some symptoms of over heating aswell. My carbs are all set up up so it can't be a weak mixture. The water was flushed and re-topped back up. Basically I only have to get to work which is what... 3 miles away? and the bike is like half way on the gauge. I've noticed that this new engine I've fitted seems to warm up pretty dam quick. I only have to get to the end of my road and the needle is out of the blue. It's not the head gasket because the water doesn't boil and over spill etc... Could it be a dodgey/sticky thermostat? Or a naffed water pump?

Regards

Rich
warm is different to overheating mate .. stop looking for problems and just ride it :)

could be a mismatch between the temp sensor and the gauge, ZX4 has completely different clocks.